Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Travel forum....?

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I will make it whenever. I just wanted confirmation of support and we do have some critics.

[/ QUOTE ]

mat, don't you have critics of a lot of other forums also?

The Lounge had and still has a ton of critics I think.
ElD was taking quite a bit of heat for the supposed elitism of his forum when that started up.
Granny's American-Idol forum was pretty much laughed at by a lot of posters.

And then there's the BBV4L and Student Life and Laughs or Links and on and on which I believe all had some critics.

Maybe you were intending to say that the Travel forum has more critics than most or that the most vocal critics of Travel are some of the mods whose opinions you respect the most. Not sure.

But it seems to me that there have been plenty of other forums that drew a ton of criticism which were not immediately yanked down.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I will make it whenever. I just wanted confirmation of support and we do have some critics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rock on... totally make me the mod of it despite NT!'s disapproval too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I should at least have a badass undertitle like "transcendent" or something (since I transcend the OOT/BBV4L divide)...

Stella Artois on a wednesday FTW
Old 06-27-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really decide what becomes a forum on the basis of critics?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope so.

The reality at this site is that forums are often given to the squeakiest wheel. Critics are rarely considered because they're busy doing things other than whining or begging endlessly for a forum, which is almost inevitably granted.

Whether or not the Travel forum makes sense, it's refreshing to see that Mat isn't just acquiescing to the four or five people that repeatedly call for that forum. Is it a good idea? Dunno. Will it do better on the sidebar? No doubt. But unless the forum traffic grows exponentially there has to come a point where you just don't keep adding forums because a small cluster of posters want it. Where the Travel forum fits into all of that remains to be seen.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really decide what becomes a forum on the basis of critics?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope so.

The reality at this site is that forums are often given to the squeakiest wheel. Critics are rarely considered because they're busy doing things other than whining or begging endlessly for a forum, which is almost inevitably granted.

Whether or not the Travel forum makes sense, it's refreshing to see that Mat isn't just acquiescing to the four or five people that repeatedly call for that forum. Is it a good idea? Dunno. Will it do better on the sidebar? No doubt. But unless the forum traffic grows exponentially there has to come a point where you just don't keep adding forums because a small cluster of posters want it. Where the Travel forum fits into all of that remains to be seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq, funniest thing I read all day...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Sniper,

How so?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sniper,

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq,

Because while he was reading it he was being tickled by a man dressed in a pink panther costume, thus he was laughing.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sniper,

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq,

Because while he was reading it he was being tickled by a man dressed in a pink panther costume, thus he was laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mat, don't you have critics of a lot of other forums also?

The Lounge had and still has a ton of critics I think.
ElD was taking quite a bit of heat for the supposed elitism of his forum when that started up.
Granny's American-Idol forum was pretty much laughed at by a lot of posters.

And then there's the BBV4L and Student Life and Laughs or Links and on and on which I believe all had some critics.

Maybe you were intending to say that the Travel forum has more critics than most or that the most vocal critics of Travel are some of the mods whose opinions you respect the most. Not sure.

But it seems to me that there have been plenty of other forums that drew a ton of criticism which were not immediately yanked down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob,

There are different kinds of criticisms when it comes to new forums. They're usually:

"This forum will make the whole board better" vs. "This forum will make X forum worse."
"This new forum will make our old forum better" vs. "I like all the crap in the old forum."
and finally
"LOL what a dumb idea for a forum" vs. "Where else are we going to post this stuff?"

The first obviously relates to EDGD, the Lounge, the proposed entertainment forum, the proposed food and drink forum, and some others versus OOT. EDGD and the Lounge got the green light, but the critics thought that leaching off food and drink or entertainment topics would take too much away from OOT, and they won.

The second is what spawned Politics, Sports, and Student Life. Here, you may not listen to a few critics as much if the majority of the forum wants some content kicked out of their home.

The third, like AIW vs. the world, wasn't really leaching content from anywhere, so people making cheap jokes didn't have much say. AIW added content to the forum that would not have had much of a home otherwise, so a few jokesters don't have as much influence. It's hard for them to claim that they were any worse off with that forum than without, so if some people are better off and will post more, why not add it?

Travel would seem to be in the first category, and as such, it's probably worth listening to the critics more. People like reading about some travel content in a number of other forums (B&M, OOT, BBV4L, the Lounge, TR posts in strat forums, and maybe others), and many of these same people wouldn't want that travel content to go away, or they'd still want to post their TRs and such in their home forums rather than in some new one. Personally, I'm indifferent about a travel forum, but it's important to pay attention to what kind of criticism the critics are throwing at a forum to make up your mind how much they affect the decision.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM

There you go. Wookie explains it much better than I would have.

The travel forum, modded by Nation, is looking likely.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM

Sniper,

Oh, ok, makes sense. I thought you were laughing at my post. Didn't know about the Pink Panther thing.

Also, what Wookie said.