Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Soccer: How about owning your own club?

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon how much worse will fans do then the amazing, skilled, management/coaches at teams like Tampa Bay Devil Rays. At least this interaction gets fans into it.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah but if the drays were an english soccer team, they'd have been relegated a dozen times already.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon how much worse will fans do then the amazing, skilled, management/coaches at teams like Tampa Bay Devil Rays. At least this interaction gets fans into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as player development, scouting, in-game decision making (and little boundries such as staying within their low budget that partly comes from their poor attendance), etc etc I would take the TB people in a heartbeat over a bunch of yahoos who think they are geniuses because they like to call the 3rd base coach an idiot for not sending the runner.

I very much believe there's a pretty good chance that if the fans were given the in-game decision making they would end up over-doing it with so many relief-pitchers and pinch-hitters and SB attempts at ridiculous times that it would end up taking a lot of TB's 5-3 losses and would turn them into 10-1 losses.

And there's absolutely no way they could make determinations on drafting and scouting, etc.
Don't you kind of need to know what the Rule V draft is and how the 40-man roster works (amongst a million other things) before you could competently vote regarding off-season personnel decisions?
It would be simply awful.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 AM

I see what your saying, i thought the fans were going to do only manager stuff, not GM stuff (at least with the baseball team). I agree things like scouting and player development should be left out of their hands.

I was thinking more along the lines of double steal, bunt, hit and run, etc. type decisions.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 AM

I actually like this idea for soccer because I don't think the manager needs to make many decisions during the game, when time constraints require quick thinking. The manager doesn't call set plays and he only makes 3 substitutions/game.

However, a minor league baseball team near Chicago tried this: they let the fans vote on the lineup and at the time they were thinking about letting them make substitutions. I don't know how it turned out, so maybe someone could continue googling?

Article
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

However, a minor league baseball team near Chicago tried this: they let the fans vote on the lineup and at the time they were thinking about making substitutions. I don't know how it turned out, so maybe someone could continue googling?

Article

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe someone could read the thread
Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tactics, transfers, and managerial decisions will all be voted on.

[/ QUOTE ]
No thanks, I'd rather play Championship Manager 03/04.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, managing a game could be done by computer but the "manager" could instill what we typically hear called "chemistry." See Joe Torre. I'm sure I'll get heat for this idea (computer managing).

[/ QUOTE ]

A minor league team did it last year actually.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...-leagues_x.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Bill Veeck tried something along these lines when he owned the browns. Fans were given signs for hit-and-run, steal, bunt etc and the Manager was supposed to take the general feel of the crowd into it.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

i was gonna give 75 bucks, then i realized that leeds utd is the #1 most wanted club. If i was part owner of leeds i would shoot myself.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

edit:

bought in. voted that we buy wycombe wanderers.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more along the lines of double steal, bunt, hit and run, etc. type decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is my contention the fans would royally screw this up also.
And I mean REALLY badly.

Take a lousy team like TB, KC, CIN or whoever right now.
I believe the fan decisions would be bad enough to cost the team up to 2 or 3 runs per game.
Sounds almost impossible to all the saber-heads out there I'm sure. But this is how BADLY I believe most of the fans would screw this up.

They would almost always want to try stuff like a double-steal, etc without any regard to what pitch might be coming (easier to steal on a breaking-ball) how tough the pitcher is to read and the runner's ability to get a decent jump, or even whether the batter is a lefty or a righty.

It would be ridiculous and many games that a TB type team WOULD lose 5-3 with decent managining would end up being an 8-3 final.

Then you have to consider that the fans would likely be very quick to make dumb pitching moves and would absolutely kill their own bullpen.

"Should we get Jones warmed-up in the bullpen now?"
"Oh yeah. Good idea."
"Oh wait, we don't need him anymore. Sit him down and then maybe we'll get him warmed-up again in the next inning if we want to."

I really don't care what decisions you give the fans.
They know so much less than they think they do and the team will perform embarassingly badly.

Think of all those idiots who watch the WPT on TV and know they could play each one of those hands 100% perfectly because it's just so obvious.
What if you had it live and you had the populace vote on how one of the players should be playing his cards on every hand?
I think this player voted on by the population would do pretty badly simply because most people don't know nearly as much as they think they do about poker.
Although there's a chance that the mob would vote for more all-in's than appropriate which obviously has a chance of succeeding.