Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: A fair price for this web design?

jack,

(seriously though let me know when your site is up)
Old 08-13-2007, 02:26 AM

am I missing something? The OP design looks like a generic template used by 99% of web hosting companies.

Are you saying the "about" page will cost 100$?

If the site was more complex, sure you should spend more money, but this template looks like its for webhostiniglike purposes.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jack,

(seriously though let me know when your site is up)

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF??

Do you realize once you have the template you change the text and thats pretty much it? Maybe a few tweeks in the css or HTML, but thats about it.

Why the hell would any1 charge you for each page?
Total rip.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh not quite. Once the layout is done, the coder is going to have to markup all the content. Paragraphs, links, images, bold/italics, yadda yadda. It's not a lot, but it certainly is work. Whether they want to charge a flat rate, hourly, or per page doesn't really matter. But it's pretty lame to get the base work done and expect everything from then on to be free.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
am I missing something? The OP design looks like a generic template used by 99% of web hosting companies.

Are you saying the "about" page will cost 100$?

If the site was more complex, sure you should spend more money, but this template looks like its for webhostiniglike purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they'd give him a similar template, and no it doesn't cost them $100 per page...but do you really think someone can get a site for $20?

Even if you charged $20/hour, it'll take longer than that to type in all of the text. Then where do you host it, how do you transfer the files, who does maintenance, who registers the DNS entry, etc etc.

I'm just saying that anyone who says you can get a site for a two digit amount is:

1. Severely mistaken or
2. Willing to accept something [censored] or
3. Getting someone to basically do it for free

I have a shell of a website app I can use to easily and quickly build sites with similar components. Still, even then, even if I was just going to sell the shell, it would barely be worth $50 of my time to go through the whole process.

Obviously a nerve has been struck here; the fact that I spent most of the weekend coding probably doesn't help. Again, no personal attacks or bickering intended, it just annoys me, especially when people who don't work in the industry comment on what a fair $ is (and thats in any industry. I'm certainly not qualified to say whats fair for say a lawyer to charge, and I certainly wouldn't say "oh c'mon you can easily get this guy I know to work for $25 an hour. Give Bob a call at Loblaw & Zuckercorn...

Just my $.02, or i guess in my case, $200 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 AM

asofel,

i definitely know where you are coming from. i've been looking for erlang programmers for months for a project i'm working on, and every listing i've posted anywhere i've instead gotten people offering to write what i need in php or rails for like, $4/hr. the current climate in the industry is frustrating. rather than one shot jobs, i mostly rely on selling services now.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
asofel,

i definitely know where you are coming from. i've been looking for erlang programmers for months for a project i'm working on, and every listing i've posted anywhere i've instead gotten people offering to write what i need in php or rails for like, $4/hr. the current climate in the industry is frustrating. rather than one shot jobs, i mostly rely on selling services now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I've actually been looking at learning Erlang, more as an academic interest than someone for work. Can you speak on what you're using it for?

Maybe pm me unless others are somehow interested?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Are they doing the flash animation for the site too? if so $100 a page is very reasonable. You probably could get it cheaper if you know the right dorks to look for.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. It appears the consensus is $100/page is too much. I like the structure of the site in the OP, and would like to use it. My content would fit in perfectly (about 12 pages) as well as the pics for the flash on the home page. Let me say they also will be hosting for $25/month. If i give them an offer of $500 soup to nuts,is that fair on both ends? Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Overall, the main difference in price is if you want a fresh brand new design yourself, or if you just want them to lightly modify a template.

If they are using a straight template, I'd probably shoot for $250 or so for the job. If they are actually doing a new design, around $400.

I don't think people realize how long it takes to (a) come up with a design (b) convert it to html/css (c) bug test it to make sure it works in 5 different web browsers.

If you're not picky, a template is fine.

Talentdeficit - could I PM you about web work? I do light php/mysql/html/css and some marketing stuff (seo/ppc), and am looking for some new work.