Old 09-01-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: How to be a better driver

gratuitous: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dPJNeVGMYPk
Old 09-01-2007, 06:54 AM

I am prolly in the top 6%.
If I tried, I'd prolly be in top 1%.

Genetics.

My dad is great driver, and I learn from him.

My tips:

You need to be looking in all 2 mirrors once every 30 seconds minimum. Just to know your surroundings; cops, distances from other cars, etc... I prolly check rearview mirror once every 8 seconds.

Always check your blindspot (over your left shoulder) when changing lanes.

Look ahead, and try to get a sense of how the cars will change position. This is key when trying to weave through traffic. Often times I see ppl just moving to the next blank lane, this is a common mistake b/c just b/c it is clear for 50 feet, dosnt mean it is the fastest solution. Often times patient and thinking pays when trying to weave through traffic.

Know the terrain; potholes, etc...

Lastly, and most importantly; confidence. I mea if your really wanan pull something off, you can do it. Just believe in yourself and pull the trigger. I have faced some sick situations where I am passing up in 1 lane road, or have to avoid some d-bag on the freeway, and if I were to hesitate, I prolly would have caused some chaos (not life threating).

Lastest Lastly, get used to your car. Know your dementions, and how close you can get to stuff, hot fast you can go, breaks, acceleration, etc...
Old 09-01-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a tip that many people don't get. When you're sitting in the middle of a road waiting to turn left with traffic passing you in both directions, keep your wheels pointed straight! The amount of morons who steer their wheels towards the direction they are going to turn always amazes me.

Just think what happens when someone crashes into the back of you when you have done that compared with when your wheels are pointing straight.

Edit: Substitute right for left above if you drive on the left hand side of the road as in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's pretty good, never heard that one before.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:39 PM

always pay attention, always always always leave enough room between you adn the car ahead fo you to be able to react w/ enough time in any situation.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:59 PM

strictly obey 3 second rule for high speeds (>90mph)
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 PM

I really do consider myself a pretty safe driver (no at-fault accidents yet, knock on wood). john voight made a very good post, but I just wanted to add that good driving isn't so much about what you do as about knowing what others are going to do.

Like voight said, check your mirrors often. Does it look like someone is speeding up behind you? Just get out of the way if you can. Don't be some testosterone-filled retard and try to escalate something. Is someone speeding up from next to you? He's probably going to try to change lanes, so be aware of that.

When you change lanes, make sure you're accelerating as you do so, not at the same speed.

It amazes me also how many people actually slow down or brake as they attempt to merge onto a freeway. I feel like dragging those idiots out of the car and running them over. You should be going at LEAST at the speed of the freeway when you're merging, if possible.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:25 PM

practice at the range
Old 09-01-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You need to be looking in all 2 mirrors once every 30 seconds minimum. Just to know your surroundings; cops, distances from other cars, etc... I prolly check rearview mirror once every 8 seconds.

Always check your blindspot (over your left shoulder) when changing lanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are actually HUGE things that nobody does.

Proper following distances are also key. You know how long it takes for your car to stop and you want at least that in front of you. The 3 second rule(when the rear bumper of the car in front of you passes a stationary object start counting, your front bumper should cross 3 seconds later at least) is great for highways.

Alway use your signals and wait a couple of seconds before changing lanes.

Stay in the right-middle lane in areas where the is a good amount of merge traffic.

Be especially careful near ramps with lots of people trying to merge. They're often the source of abrupt slowdowns and shortened following distances.