Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Last Night I Finally Figured it Out...

Ok I had a 4-5 paragraph started with more info about the korean war and analogies. However I just had a 1 second power outage and I'm not going to bother retyping/thinking it. I will just end with an "I Disagree Sir!"
Old 01-24-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I had a 4-5 paragraph started with more info about the korean war and analogies. However I just had a 1 second power outage and I'm not going to bother retyping/thinking it. I will just end with an "I Disagree Sir!"

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't mind people disagreeing... and contrary to what most people think about Red-state-voters... i like hearing the other side.

My thought is that the Dems should just adopt a STRONG pull-out-now stance. I might even support the blue-boys if they went strong with an actual course of action.

However, I can't support a party / candidate that can't figure out what they are supporting.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...Your friend calls you from a party, obviously drunk... you tell him don't drive home drunk, it is a dumb idea, but of course he drives home drunk and wrecks his car....

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point... but lets not forget that when the decision was made to "drive drunk"... everyone, including 67% of the US population thought that driving drunk was the best action / lesser of two evils.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...Your friend calls you from a party, obviously drunk... you tell him don't drive home drunk, it is a dumb idea, but of course he drives home drunk and wrecks his car....

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point... but lets not forget that when the decision was made to "drive drunk"... everyone, including 67% of the US population thought that driving drunk was the best action / lesser of two evils.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more like your friend calls and tells you that he's had one beer and is OK to drive and you tell him its fine. Then you find out he lied to you and hes completely wasted beating his car with a sledgehammer on the side of the road criticizing you for not being able to offer an acceptable way for him to get his car back into shape.

Analogies are fun!

I find it furiating that the Repubs get to be mad at the Dems for not being able to come up with a good solution for the mess Bush got us into. There is no good solution, its a mess!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Its more like your friend calls and tells you that he's had one beer and is OK to drive and you tell him its fine. Then you find out he lied to you and hes completely wasted beating his car with a sledgehammer on the side of the road criticizing you for not being able to offer an acceptable way for him to get his car back into shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK to be fair I'll switch it up, cause I still dont think Bush straight up lied, he was just a victim of misinformation.

Its like your friend tells you he had one beer but was confused and it turned out to be a cup of vodka. He then proceeds to drive drunk...

Unfortunately its his responsibility to know what hes drinking before he's driving as it is Bush's responsibility to have the facts straight before getting into a war.

Is this analogy convoluted enough yet? I can do more [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Analogies are fun!

I find it furiating that the Repubs get to be mad at the Dems for not being able to come up with a good solution for the mess Bush got us into. There is no good solution, its a mess!

[/ QUOTE ]

What i really hate is that people like to dump this all on Bush when clearly Saddam was an evil douche who came to power bfrom a long series of meddling from the west including a certain (very liberal) president of the US at the end of WW1. Creating these types of problems is almost habitual for presidents of the US, Bush is just a recent and blatant example.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I love this argument.

Bush gets us to invade a country based faulty assumptions that were the result of a biased review of the intelligence. In developing a plan, he ignores the recommendations of the military and past war games and goes with a force much to small to impliment a democracy. The war costs many, many times what we were told it was going to cost, the reconstruction is a mess with much of the money being wasted and many projects undone or unfinished, and we're faced with a staggering death toll (not to mention the 10K+ soldiers who have suffered life long injuries).

In return we have a country in turmoil. The democracy is being held in place by force. If we were to leave today the situation would devolve rapidly. We've managed to further alienate the rest of the world.

And you want to jump on the Democrats because they are unhappy with the horrible situation Bush created but can't come up with a solution to an impossible problem.

You make me laugh.

Now that being said, there is some validity to what you write. The Democrats are a party of ideals. Regularly those grand plans are not backed up by a functional plan. The last ten years or so I don't think the Republicans ahve been much different. Both parties are spending the unlimited-at least in their minds-resources of the US government to each do their own form of social engineering. Democrats use ivory tower intellectualism as their basis and Republicans use religious conservatism.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
clearly Saddam was an evil douche

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're one of those "I don't care if all our reasons for war proved false because we got rid of Saddam" people? Might does make right, doesn't it? Everytime the US diagrees with the way a country does something we should just invade.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clearly Saddam was an evil douche

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're one of those "I don't care if all our reasons for war proved false because we got rid of Saddam" people? Might does make right, doesn't it? Everytime the US diagrees with the way a country does something we should just invade.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same reasoning that created Saddam, ironically. OMG! AYATOLLAH!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As a voter, whom do you vote for in the 2008 Presidential election? What if you are truly undecided about what candidate is the smartest and most capable? It seems logical to want information about their specific plans so that you can vote for the plan/candidate you agree with. In 2004, it was enough to know whether or not you agreed with Bush. But now that Bush is not running, it is not enough to simply disagree with Bush's failed plans.

As a voter who tends to support Republicans but is disatisfied with Iraq (as is everyone), I really really want to hear some plans for action. Saying "Iraq is a mess and Bush screwed up" is not enough reason for me to vote for the Democratic Pres. candidate in '08. It is the responsibility of every candidate to take stands on issues, not just Republicans. I think that's what the OP is getting at, and I'm glad all the bad analogies have slowed.