Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Boss finds out you\'ve accepted another job... your play?

I told him that i received a verbal offer from another firm but haven't received anything in writing yet. He probed a bit and i told him that I was going to his old firm, and, in fact, his old division and department. He was with the firm for 7 years as a VP, so he has moles.... one of whom interviewed here shortly before I had my first interview at the new place. My money's on her as the leak.

He pitched his counter offer and I listened, but unless he moves this plant 45 miles closer to my house, he can't compete. I told him that I was flattered and that I'd think about it, but that I am confident in my decision to move on.

Couple interesting highlights: at one point he asked me what my career goals are. I replied that this was the first time in the year and a half that he's been here that he's asked me that question.

He also proceeded to trash a former colleague who left here about two months ago.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM

I just gave notice to my job yesterday and played it straight. I also have an offer, but nothing in writing yet, but with reviews this week and my boss in town (he lives in europe), I decided it was best to tell them this week.

I said Apr. 28th would be a last day and didn't tell them who my new job would be with because I wanted to wait until I had all the I's dotted and T's crossed.

Play it straight. Glad to hear you did.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And like the other poster said, WTF can he do to you anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the industry and the relationship that the boss still has with his old employer you would be surprised. I have seen phone calls made and offers revoked. I'm sure it's not common place, but you are incredibly naive if you do not think it happens.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:08 PM

KT:

Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boss finds out you've accepted another job... your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
B. Tell your current boss that you have enjoyed working for/with him and that this is simply an opportunity that you think is best for your career. Wish him the best of luck in the future. If he has any class, he will do the same for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He also proceeded to trash a former colleague who left here about two months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's some great validation of your decision to move on.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you are incredibly naive

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to overreact to a joke [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM

I had a crappy job. I was officially an "engineer" but, at times, I acted as a de facto secretary for a guy in the Navy. One of my tasks was to visit this guy (call him "MC") in person every day to see what he needed to be done.

MC was on travel for a few days. He returned. In the morning, my boss tells me that MC was back in town and that I should visit him. I don't. Later that afternoon, MC calls me, on the speakerphone like he usually does. I tell him that I didn't know he was back in town and I would be over right away.

Of course, my boss was right there next to MC and heard me lie to MC. Later that day, he calls me in the office for a talk. Actually, he was really nice about it. He wondered why I was lying, if I was happy in my job, etc. Thing is, I was planning on staying on the job for another 6 weeks or so. I wasn't going to tell anyone my plans until much later. But I was stuck.

So I told him that I was going to law school and was going to leave in 6 weeks.

When I finally put my resignation in writing and gave it to my boss's boss, it was funny. Dude knew it was coming and he couldn't hide his smile when I submitted the resignation letter. To this day, I have no idea why he was so happy that I was leaving.

In the end, it was great decision to tell them early. They transitioned me away from MC much earlier than they would have if I had waited ti give 2 weeks notice. And they didn't really give me any new tasks. So I had the easiest final 3 weeks at a company ever, because I basically didn't have to do anything.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF can he do to you anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in Regulatory Affairs in the Medical Device industry. Suffice it to say that it's a close-knit group. When resumes cross my desk, I call down the list of former bosses and colleagues to get the skinny on the candidate. Everyone knows someone in one of the major firms in my area (Massachusetts). It's sort of like that six degrees of separation game, except in this line of work it's really only three degrees....