[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can't really be considered a serious political pundit

[/ QUOTE ]

wow

[/ QUOTE ]

How could she have ever been taken seriously? The bulk of of her work reads like heavy-handed satire with the right as the butt of the joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't that be awesome if actually she's basically a Colbert that had the idea years before him and no one got the joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been saying she's exactly that for a long time now.

[/ QUOTE ]
That she says things for shock value that she may not believe or that it's all an act and it's intentional to harm the Republican party? I can believe the first, not the second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she makes a lot of money from shock value.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Wishful Thinking vs Realty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lets. In her latest book, it is my understanding that Ms. Coulter rejects the theory of evolution while writing favorably about mystical, pseudoscientific nonsense. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Your understanding is not relevant. Do you have a source?
Are too lazy to do a simple google search. Don't expect others to do your homework for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this blog is, but the guy seems to do pretty job of 1) citing Ann Coulter's book and views on evolution and 2) debunking moronic creationist fairy tales, strawmen and other fallacious arguments creationists like Coulter rely heavily upon.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:29 PM

What are your thoughts on what Coulter said?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lets. In her latest book, it is my understanding that Ms. Coulter rejects the theory of evolution while writing favorably about mystical, pseudoscientific nonsense. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Are too lazy to do a simple google search. Don't expect others to do your homework for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, my original source is from google searches. What I meant by that comment is that since I haven't actually read Ms. Coulter's most recent book, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt when I read that she expresses opinions which indicate she is a complete idiot.

It does appear from a reputable source, however (Amazon book description and excerpt), that Ms. Coulter does in fact reject evolution. So she is in fact a complete idiot.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ms. Coulter commands a large following. This only serves to prove that the conservatives are just as intellectually bankrupt as the liberals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being a conservative I respect the positions of liberals more than I do those that claim to be above the fray. At least liberals take a stand. I find the fence sitters to be more arrogant than the most outrageous liberal or conservative.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. And of course, being "liberal" or "conservative" are not the only alternatives.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this blog is, but the guy seems to do pretty job of 1) citing Ann Coulter's book and views on evolution and 2) debunking moronic creationist fairy tales, strawmen and other fallacious arguments creationists like Coulter rely heavily upon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people that respond to her writing like that guy's blog are getting completely leveled by her. I don't have many reason's as to why it's just the gut instinct I get when I read stuff like that.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, in an effort to prove Ann Coulter is 'serious' mind, you point to her popularity, and cite her demand among other asshats and blow-hards on the talk radio circuit and info-tainment business.

Milli Vanilli sold 8 million albums in the late 1980s/early 90s. Imagine that! Their record Girl You Know It's True went SEVEN TIMES platinum! Most bands would kill to sell just ONE million albums. Ashley Simpson had her own television show, sold 4 million albums, and has appeared at the Orange Bowl and on Saturday Night Live in front of millions of people.

Is this proof of Milli Vanilli's and Ashley Simpson's musical 'prowless'?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are trying to compare one-hit-wonders with the proven commodity of Ann Coulter. If only one of her books made the New York Times Best Seller list....then your analogy would be more appropriate. But she is five for five in her book selling prowless. Ann is a rock star among conservative circles. And the attention she gets from the left says a lot about her as well. For myself I don't feel threaten by people like Howard Dean and Al Franken. In fact, I'm glad the left has people then on their side. Evidently people from the left feel very threatened by Ann. When you start dropping bombs and you hear screaming....that means you are hitting the target.

[ QUOTE ]
Saying "but Ann is beloved by wingnuts and adored by other morons like Rush and Hannity, so much so that they ask her to be on their show all the time!" does nothing to refute the point quoted above that she's little but a comedic sideshow.

[/ QUOTE ]
First I have no idea who you are quoting. I have never utter the words you have written.
Second, Ann apears on the morning TV shows, MSNBC, Hardball, and others. Her verbal sparrings on TV with Katie Couric and Matt Laurer are TV gold. Ann knows how to attract an audience. Some of her books are heavy in satire and the lampooning of liberals.
*How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)

Her other books have little to do with comedy.
*High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
*Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism

You attempt to label her as "comedic sideshow" is just a tactic to dismiss her without addressing her accusations against liberals. I don't think her readers of "High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton" were buying that book for its comedic value.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. As a past defender of Coulter on this forum, I admit I can't defend her on these comments. They aren't funny and are uncalled for.

2. The article you pick isn't the best. Just read the comments where the pretty much get's his hat handed to him by his own readers.

NCAces
Old 03-05-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, my original source is from google searches.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh.....then doing a simple copy-and-paste would be easy for you.
Unless your too lazy to do this as well.

[ QUOTE ]
It does appear from a reputable source, however (Amazon book description and excerpt), that Ms. Coulter does in fact reject evolution. So she is in fact a complete idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Then paste the link in your post. Do readers of all your writings have to do this much work?
2. I don't know what her stance is on evolution. If she doubts it then this shows an ignorance in biology and nothing else. I suppose according to you every person that has not taken a class in biology is stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. And of course, being "liberal" or "conservative" are not the only alternatives.

[/ QUOTE ]
You dismissed both political theories as being intellectually bankrupt. That statement reaks of moral superiority and political ignorance.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM

The fact that Milli Vanilli is a one hit wonder is not relevent.

If it helps you better-- America's Funniest Home Videos was a #1 show in America. It remained a hit show for 6 seasons. It crushed the majority of its competition. Yet it was completely vapid entertainment.

Ann Coulter's success means only that there are people willing to buy what she's selling. Sales figures does not imply anything about the quality of the content.

I think Felix is mistaken in saying that she threatens liberals. Quite a few conservatives seem to be embarrassed by the idiocy of her writings. (Note: Her rants are idiotic, though that doesn't mean SHE is idiotic. I have no problem with the fact that she may knowingly be writing to her audience. in other words, she doesn't have to believe what she writes. She only has to know there's a few million buffoons who'll buy anything she sells.)

She may very well be a political PT Barnum. All she has to do is froth at liberals and there's a few million felix's who'll slap down their money and fetish over her adam's apple. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. As a past defender of Coulter on this forum, I admit I can't defend her on these comments. They aren't funny and are uncalled for.

2. The article you pick isn't the best. Just read the comments where the pretty much get's his hat handed to him by his own readers.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the comments, but the original blog post seemed to cite Coulter's own writings and more or less demonstrated why she's 1) frightfully ignorant and 2) why there's a genuine problem with the American education system, given that she ostensibly passed a junior-high biology class.