Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Problem adjusting to aggression in SH games and very frustrated

[ QUOTE ]
join the club, i was slaying 20/40 at prima and party to the tune of nearly 3 bb/100 : ) And on fulltilt I am -1.5bb/100, over 3k hands, i quit playing there, stars is a little better and i run about breakeven there but i dont play over 10/20 either. These sights are ssooo much more rocky, the fish are gone, but usually there is a local B &
M pond, so hit that up

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank goodness the "rocks" are lost once the flop comes out.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 PM

I used to think KingCharles was a big fish, now I'm not sure. I don't understand how he does it. He is one of the bigger losers at one of the limits (forget which) but I think he might win big in another. I don't suggest emulating him.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

exercise better seat & table selection, play less tables. basic stuff always helps, whether you are just running bad, or don't know how to beat the current wave of players.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
join the club, i was slaying 20/40 at prima and party to the tune of nearly 3 bb/100 : ) And on fulltilt I am -1.5bb/100, over 3k hands, i quit playing there, stars is a little better and i run about breakeven there but i dont play over 10/20 either. These sights are ssooo much more rocky, the fish are gone, but usually there is a local B &
M pond, so hit that up

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's me. Playing no holdem online since Party died basically meant I forgot how to play against anyone but complete fish postflop (or I never knew how to in the first place) and relearning was not pleasant. Now I'm back to c/r every single flop like a retard and raising every scare card on the turn. I miss when poker was easier [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
M pond, so hit that up

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's me. Playing no holdem online since Party died basically meant I forgot how to play against anyone but complete fish postflop (or I never knew how to in the first place) and relearning was not pleasant. Now I'm back to c/r every single flop like a retard and raising every scare card on the turn. I miss when poker was easier [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

play online sober
play live drunk

that's the only way i ever won at both
Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM

haha, yea the rocks may not know how to play to well, but you just cant squeze value out of them like a fish....
My typical 5/10- 20/40 table at tilt or stars has 2 rocks and 2 ultra aggressive tags, likely 2+2rs... I can run some profit, not much, especially nothing like before when my entire 10/20 table was 65% preflop...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because it is now more expensive to do so, I'm reconsidering my options.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make much sense. It's more expensive for everyone, right? You put more into the pot with your winners and your losers. What's the problem?

If your opponent is going to bet and raise with anything and showdown with any kind of hand, how would play against that opponent? It's not that hard a question.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KingCharles is the player with the 55% WtSD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have 170 hands with him but he's 23/15 in that stretch with wtsd of 23
So you know, sample size.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 AM

Hey Dragon,

I know how you feel after a long downswing. In late 2005, I was playing at party and could not believe the amazing luck I had from Sept to Nov. Up $60k playing 30/60 and some 50/100 full ring games. Then reality struck, when I tried to move up to 50/100 and 100/200. I lost $30k within a month. I played poker constantly and it basically consumed me. Having a bad day a poker, meant not only was I losing money, but it turned changed my personality for the worse.

So I decided to step away from poker with my winnings for a while. I just came back online this past Dec at pokerstars. And it was nothing like party. I was awful playing full ring 15/30 (a level that I thought was beneath me) Yet, I couldn't beat it.

After the neteller disaster, I couldn't find a full ring at 15/30 on pokerstars anymore in Jan. Seeing as I never played 6-max before, I decided to go back to party, as they have more tables than pokerstars.

I begain reading up on shorthanded games. And I started at 5/10 just to get a feel for it. 2 months later. I'm back on track playing 6-max 15/30, and on occasion 30/60 and 50/100. More importantly, finally winning again!

Long downswing sucks. Step back, and try to identify what is wrong with your game. Is it the table selections? Is it your opponents? Or has the downswing affected your game/nerves. For me, I know marathon sessions = losing sessions. Chasing lost money was one of my biggest faults. Now I try to control my playing time, and just do it in short spurts. Almost like a hit/run approach.

Also, I don't know how other people do it. But I can't multi-table more than 3 or 4 at time with 6-max. I can't concentrate and reconstruct a hand, when the decisions are coming up so quicly with 6-max.

I know you don't have party available to play. Try and play at different sites besides pokerstars.

Hang in there! I've been where you're at, and it wasn't pretty.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I don't know how other people do it. But I can't multi-table more than 3 or 4 at time with 6-max

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a very revealing thread recently where it turned out the vast majority of regular posters here don't play more than 3 or 4 tables, with a great many playing only two. I'd always felt I was in the minority since I can't keep up with more than three tables at all.

Guy.