Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Re: SUMMARY OF THE BILL (SUPER-QUICK READ)

[ QUOTE ]
If we have a definite 8 months I'm quitting my job.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm going to start putting in 50 hours a week.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Hock_,

I'm quickly skimming this bill, and I did not see where it illegalizes internet gambling. "Unlawful internet gambling" is defined as making a wager which involves the use of the internet "where such bet or wager is unlawful under any applicable Federal or State law." So, it sounds like this bill is relying on the DoJ's assertion that the Wire Act already illegalizes internet gambling. I've heard people argue that the case for that position isn't airtight, so perhaps this could be a position for netteller or someone to take, that online poker is not unlawful internet gambling?

Of course, it's very possible that i'm missing something.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm going to start putting in 70 hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 AM

From wikipedia

[ QUOTE ]

The U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that the Wire Act applies only to sports betting and not other types of online gambling.[2] The Supreme Court has not ruled on the meaning of the Federal Wire Act as it pertains to online gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm quickly skimming this bill, and I did not see where it illegalizes internet gambling. "Unlawful internet gambling" is defined as making a wager which involves the use of the internet "where such bet or wager is unlawful under any applicable Federal or State law." So, it sounds like this bill is relying on the DoJ's assertion that the Wire Act already illegalizes internet gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I read it also.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that the Wire Act applies only to sports betting and not other types of online gambling.[2] The Supreme Court has not ruled on the meaning of the Federal Wire Act as it pertains to online gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but don't forget state law. Anybody got a list of states that have affirmatively banned poker?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm quickly skimming this bill, and I did not see where it illegalizes internet gambling. "Unlawful internet gambling" is defined as making a wager which involves the use of the internet "where such bet or wager is unlawful under any applicable Federal or State law." So, it sounds like this bill is relying on the DoJ's assertion that the Wire Act already illegalizes internet gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I read it also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. That says that it is now illegal to make a bet over the internet if you are in a state that specifically bans that particular type of wagering. So if it is illegal to play roulette for money in Florida, then it is now illegal to play roulette on the internet for money if you are within the borders of the state of Florida.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:03 AM

What seems to be the biggest worry to me is does this language specifically say financial institutions such as neteller, firepay, etc... will not be allowed to do business with US Banks. This is, IMO, a deciding factor for how online poker will turn out as it will be the prefered method of deposit for all fish nationwide.

Anyone know about this?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm going to start mainlining amphetamines while putting in 100 hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 AM

From page 239...

[ QUOTE ]
specifically identify the location of the online site or hypertext link to be removed or access to which is to be disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be very bad from a technolgical stand point. Not being a lawyer or politico I am unsure if some of the preceeding wording that talks about "sites" on the ISP's are being refered to in the above, or this is any site anywhere.

If it is refering to any site anywhere we are up [censored] creek without even a boat.

There will always be a way to stay a step ahead of the ISP's efforts to block access to a site, but quite frankly the average person is not going to be capable of dealing with the technology. Hell just read thru some of the threads in the software or computer forums to see what I mean, people that can not even start a command prompt on XP or follow detailed simple instructions to preform a task.

Bottom line is if they push blocking access, the ever escalating war between those trying to get around the blocks and the ISP's trying to stop them, will result in such a complex and unstable/unreliable access to sites, that the vast majority of the average players will not even try.