FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Div I
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly 61 93.85%
Heartbreak Ridge 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: so standard i feel bad wasting space on the board

[ QUOTE ]
sorry for picking on this specific post, but here is a good example of what I've posted about quite a bit, namely the fact that you monkeys 3bet with everything and have no idea what to do postflop when you get called. That said I would probably 3bet here preflop a good percentage of the time, but I would also call a lot, especially against someone that is capable of floating a cbet here. Just thought I'd get that out there since its a pet peeve of mine.

Basically you need to play poker here, adjust to him. There's so much you can do here. You can c/r flop sometimes, cbet flop and c/r turn. You could cbet and fire again. I hate c/c flop though. do you think he might be floating a lot? Well then try something to counteract that. If he hasn't, no shame in letting this go. Also, think about whether you can get him to fold Ax here. Some people will fold AQ, some won't fold any ace.

To answer a question asked in the OP, yes you should be doing what your opponent did with air, and with a hand. The cbettor will often have missed the board obviously, and people have a tough time dealing with it, as shown by this thread. I do it somewhat often. This is a perfect flop for it too.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry for picking on this specific post, but here is a good example of what I've posted about quite a bit, namely the fact that you monkeys 3bet with everything and have no idea what to do postflop when you get called. That said I would probably 3bet here preflop a good percentage of the time, but I would also call a lot, especially against someone that is capable of floating a cbet here. Just thought I'd get that out there since its a pet peeve of mine.

Basically you need to play poker here, adjust to him. There's so much you can do here. You can c/r flop sometimes, cbet flop and c/r turn. You could cbet and fire again. I hate c/c flop though. do you think he might be floating a lot? Well then try something to counteract that. If he hasn't, no shame in letting this go. Also, think about whether you can get him to fold Ax here. Some people will fold AQ, some won't fold any ace.

To answer a question asked in the OP, yes you should be doing what your opponent did with air, and with a hand. The cbettor will often have missed the board obviously, and people have a tough time dealing with it, as shown by this thread. I do it somewhat often. This is a perfect flop for it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'll rephrase: I can perfectly see myself playing this hand in this way.

I'm not saying you should play it exactly that way every single time. And yes, you can do a lot of different things postflop and preflop, but that's kind of hard to discuss when we know absolutely nothing about villain.

Sure, if he likes to bet a lot of turns with air if checked to on the flop, or if he likes to call Cbet, get aggro on the turn, or if he calls 3bets way too much, or whatever, this is a good hand to exploit those things with different lines.

Just wanted to say that in a vacuum, I don't see much wrong with this line.

Edit: FWIW, I answered 3-bet 50% in the poll.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM

the problem with 3betting 9s oop is we are committed to betting the flop (pretty much), thus we are automatically giving the opponent the value of our continuation bet whenever we miss (7 in 8) and he hits (say 1 in 3). this is a fundamental problem with reraising with 99 oop.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Bear, just to be clear, I was just responding to the thread, not you in particular, I just used the quick reply thing.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok...this seems to happen to my WAY too much, so how do you deal with this sort of situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop and check the turn with my big aces
Old 07-10-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bear, just to be clear, I was just responding to the thread, not you in particular, I just used the quick reply thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought so, but just a general thought that without any read in the OP, you can hardly expect very well-thought out advice, and I don't think re-raising 99 / c-betting flop as a standard line is bad here.

If we have no read, he shouldn't know how we play. I'd say that against a player who doesn't know us, this line is +EV preflop and on the flop vs an unknown range. Or am I wrong about that?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think a good way to combat an aggro villain in this spot is to double barrel less and check raise more w/our strong hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

And c/r flop from time to time.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need some reads here. How often has he seen you reraise preflop? How often does he call preflop reraises (ie does he need a nondominated hand like a pair or AK)? If opponent has a tendency to call preflop reraises there is much less value in the preflop reraise OOP. Has this opponent ever smoothcalled a reraise preflop with AA/KK/QQ or does he shovel it in? Does this opponent do tricky stuff like float in reraised pots (floating in a raised pot is much less risky so may not be indicative of same behavior in reraised pot)? Have you done many turn checkraises? as most players will float less when you show any tendancy to do that. This player in position quite possibly puts you on KK/QQ after you check the turn and is trying for a cheap steal. Or he is trying to see if his ace is good and at the same time protect the pot and get value from KK/QQ.

Checking the flop I think is horrible and looks exactly like what it is, a pocket pair lower than aces. Opponent may hit on the turn and you need to protect the pot. Opponent may attempt to steal on the flop with a worse hand than yours. Opponent may check the flop with an ace to get call value later in the hand so you dont necessarily get much info if he checks behind on the flop.

I'm not a big fan of calling with a mid pair out of position preflop but it works in some spots. When you donk into him on the flop will he fold when he has nothing or does he like to play back at you? If the first is the case then you can do that with many hands and not just good ones like pocket pairs (but dont go overboard!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the flop isn't horrible because I do this with AK/AQ as well. I'm not suggesting checking this flop is a fantastic line under normal circumstances, but FJ is frustrated at people doing this to him all the time, and one really good way to get them to knock it off is to c/r this flop from time to time with anything.

FWIW, if this guy is floating this to raise turn, he's probably not checking behind on the flop.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent post.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM

this is how i'd play 99 here very often. as for floating, i'd usually put in a very small raise instead. i think it has a better chance of folding out JJ-KK.