Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: why does everyone play 6max?

[ QUOTE ]
I just wonder:

If 6-handed is more fun, more profitable, more whatever.. what about 5-handed? 4-handed?

What would be the optimum and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god, short question needing a long answer. Let's assume we start with an nine-handed table, and see what happens as the as we start removing players.

As the number of players at the table decreases:

1) The effect of postion becomes magnified, therefore the knowing how to play in and out of position becomes more important. You will be in the blinds more often, forced to put money in the pot with basically any two cards. Therefore, the ability to play marginal hands out of position becomes more important. You will see the button more often. Therefore the ability to capitalize on position becomes more important.

2) The number of possible players in each pot is reduced. Therefore hands that do better the more multiway the pot is post-flop (connectors) are less valuable, whereas cards that do better the fewer people are in the hand post-flop (pocket pairs, Big Broadway) are more valuable.

3) As the number of players decreases, the number of possible responses to your bet or raise is reduced. This makes the effect of aggression more predictable, and therefore more profitable. Inversely, there are fewer players to contribute money as the hand progresses, making checking and calling increasingly less profitable as table size decreases.

4) As the number of players decreases, the number of actions that must be responded to decreases, enabling players to more frequently act as they wish, without the actions of other players mitigating theirs. Accordingly, the ability to "get inside you opponents head" becomes more important.

The key is to find the number of players that balances well against the style at which you play your A-game. I play rather tight-aggressive, but loose-aggressive on the button, hate having anything but the nuts out of position but can play there if I need to. My hand reading skills and my ability to get in my opponents head is not remotely strong enough for heads up play. 6-max is a nice fit for me.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1-handed

[/ QUOTE ]

True, for most players that would represent the optimum in terms of profitability... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) Players who tend toward calling over raising, should avoid 6-Max. Inversely, if you are a player who is constantly looking to raise and reraise other players, 6-Max may be for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily agree with these statements. Players who like to call and are afraid of betting or reraising will have problems regardless of whether they are playing at full ring, 6 max or heads up, although probably worse off the shorter the table. But you don't automatically win at 6-max just because you are an action junkie who likes to raise and reraise. I make a good chunk of my profit at 6-max letting aggro-donks bet into me with absolutely nothing or weak holdings and the other half from value betting the passive guys who have not adjusted from full ring by popping up their aggression a tad. You can't win at 6-max just by being an aggro-donk. You still have to pick your spots, use position and, yes, get away from hands, even after you have shown some aggression.

Personally, I find 6-max a lot more fun (and sometimes frustrating) than full ring. You get to see and play a lot more hands in a shorter amount of time, however, as a result, the ups and downs of variance are more heightened. In general, I find that the play at 6-max is a bit worse than the play at full ring. There will usually be at least 2-4 players that are either playing way too passively or way too aggressively. With pokertracker, it is not that difficult to spot these players and then punish both of these styles.