Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: What do you do at the tables?

[ QUOTE ]
Sunglasses only because I've found that I don't get headaches as bad when I wear them. Used to have trouble playing more than about three hours before having to leave because of the pain. I will take them off happily anytime someone asks, which is great for screwing with their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

ppl really ask you to take them off?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sunglasses only because I've found that I don't get headaches as bad when I wear them. Used to have trouble playing more than about three hours before having to leave because of the pain. I will take them off happily anytime someone asks, which is great for screwing with their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always ask players with sunglasses to take them off. I tell them its because I can't read them when they wear them.

Nobody has ever responded to me. I think sunglasses impair hearing indoors.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I have been playing live games fairly regularly, and my poker buddy is always amazed that I don't listen to music (IPOD/MP3 player), while I am playing. I also don't wear sunglasses and will use a standard table chip as my card protector. My chips are evenly stacked in 20. I will try to constantly drink water, and take frequent bathroom breaks once I am pass the CO. (once an hour)
What are your habits at the table?
Any good advice on what you should do during a long session?
Sunglasses?
Ipod?
Eating?
Drinking?
Card Protector?
Chop every time, or sometimes play for bad-beat?
Chit-chat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the "poker buddy" in question here, and personally I think I'd die of boredom during the long sessions if it weren't for my trusty iPod. I always keep it low enough so I can hear all the action and table chat. (I hate people who constantly have to ask what's going on cuz they are listening to music.) The iPod is also a life saver when you get that idiot next to you who is constantly telling you bad beat stories in broken English so you can't even understand them. (Don't laugh too much Sammy....serious I would have hung myself that night if I didn't have my tunes.) I also use a cheesy black snake card protector that often gets mistaken for a turd. Its a great conversation piece. "What the heck is that?!?" I never talk about hands unless I'm probing for information, or I'm intentionally misleading someone. When I eat at the table I eat light. I never want that food coma feeling. I find precut fresh fruit is the best, and you can use a fork to not get the cards or chips nasty. I usually take my bathroom breaks after my button. That's about it.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I never talk about how hands are played at the table, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what its like at your cardroom, but at the one I usually play at everyone is a pro in their own mind. Every hand is analyzed at the table after it ends. I participate as well to be friendly and social.

I do balance this out by completely making up whatever "advice" I give. Sometimes its OK ("no, you only had 6 outs because of the flush draw"), but far more often its completely randumb ("of course I folded queens [as an overpair to the flop, lol], I don't want to play a big pot with you." or "It was the right play for sure, there's no way you can fold the nut straight" [on a double paired flushing board, lol] or some such crap).

[ QUOTE ]
I progress to bloody mary's, since I figure that is lowest in calories of all the alcoholic drinks

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider a rum and diet coke (or vodka and diet, or jack and diet). That's about as low calorie as you can go. If you ask nicely they might even put a maraschino cherry in it for you.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, generally after I move in on them. I'm not wearing them to hide tells, so I don't mind doing it.

As noted before, it confuses the hell out of them, and I'm always in favor of confusing my opponents.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm surprised by several people who take bathroom breaks at UTG and don't mind missing blinds - doesn't buying the button mathematically reduce your win rate (all other things being equal) compared to playing the blind hands?

On a less serious note (but still truthful, more or less), I'm also surprised by the number who say they keep their chips in neat stacks of 20. I tend to build towers, with 5-7 base chips, and up to 70-80 chips high (with pyramiding) if I win enough. During the short rush stretches when I win, I build them kind of haphazardly. Then during the long stretches of foldfoldfold I straighten them up, count them, insert reds at counting locations in the white stacks, separate them into clusters, landscape the grounds, build roads and schools, elect a mayor and city council, etc, etc (those foldfoldfold periods sometimes go on for a long time).
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Just got an ipod and I love it.

No sunglasses.

Stacks of 20, or sometimes just keep them in the rack.

Drink lots of water. And I usually eat 2 meals while I'm there.

I try to talk the least amount as possibe because I really try to avoid making friends at the table. I do like to talk to the other 2p2ers that I play with, but those conversations are usually short because we are both trying to pay attention.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised by several people who take bathroom breaks at UTG and don't mind missing blinds - doesn't buying the button mathematically reduce your win rate (all other things being equal) compared to playing the blind hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
All other things aren't equal. When I have to pee badly, I make terrible decisions. I don't set out to miss the BB it just sometimes happens.

Mathematically, I guess it is worse to buy the button than play both blinds because when playing the blinds you can choose to play a SB hand based on whether it is +EV or not. However, assuming you are going to miss 1 hand completely you have to factor in missing the UTG hand in order to play both blinds.

But that isn't the issue. I can't always time my bathroom breaks perfectly - so when I get back, if I'm faced with buying the button or waiting for the cutoff I buy the button.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Poll: What do you do at the tables?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The sandwich was invented to permit food consumption simultaneous with gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was actually called a "gamblewich" in the early days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a level? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

For all of your edification, due to your collective lack of education:

It was called a sandwich because the Earl of Sandwich invented it and loved to gamble in card games. This left one hand his hands free to gamble.

Then he was surpassed in his intellegence only when the theory of relativity was conceived and formulated by Albert Einstein.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was asking if the word "gamblewich" was the level. Everyone knows the Earl of Sandwich story.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Poll: What do you do at the tables?

[ QUOTE ]
Any hand that's not 32o is a jackpot hand. Chop every time, unless you're playing short handed in a time collection game (many make the cutoff at 5 or 6).

[/ QUOTE ]

I played at The Grand in Tuncia for more than 12 hours a week or so ago. We chopped 2x in that whole time, both times in my BB. I always chop so I turned em over instantly. One time I had KK and the other time I had QQ. I think that was a sign of the apocalypse or something.