Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Review of Ace on the River

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. After looking at the chapter listing on Amazon I decided that this was not a book for me. Then, after reading Mason's reccomedation, I decided to go ahead and order it. Now, it appears as though it is exactly what I first feared. Ugh. At least it has a chapter about sex and chasing women. Thanks for the review.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Mason's glowing review influenced me as well.
I guess tomorrow will be a huge disappointment, but that's my own fault for not waiting a bit to order the book.

I've always liked Malmuth (from how little I know of him), respected his reviews, etc. This really makes me wonder, though. I guess I'll have to see which review I agree with. But yours gives a more full breakdown of what's in the book, and it doesn't seem to be "10" material.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is trying to recruit Barry to write for 2+2. 2+2 is weak on big bet poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good theory to me.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll have to see which review I agree with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm actually quite eager to get the book after reading boondoggle's review. It sounds like exactly the book I want. Not another strategy guide -- there are a zillion of those. But a book about the psychological aspects of being successful in poker, told from the perspective of someone who would know.

I'm most looking forward to the hand examples.

But I'm quite happy that the book won't feature a chapter on starting hand selection, another chapter on how to count outs and figure pot odds, another on raising for a free card, another on semi-bluffing, etc. That would be a letdown. Any winning $30-$60 player could write that, and many have (some better than others). Many of the topics Barry covers (as described by boondoggle) may seem like fluff, but to me they look interesting and I think Barry's take is probably different from the one a $30-$60 player could offer.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually quite eager to get the book after reading boondoggle's review. It sounds like exactly the book I want. Not another strategy guide -- there are a zillion of those. But a book about the psychological aspects of being successful in poker, told from the perspective of someone who would know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, and it's one of the main reasons I was excited about the book. But it doesn't seem to offer enough content (from the OP's description) about even that aspect of the game.

Still, I will try not to jump to any real conclusions until I've read most of it. I suspect it will be worth the read, but am unsure of whether it will be worth the $30. There are a few poker books which I have enjoyed reading in Borders, but I wouldn't buy them.

The glossy pictures thing is a big flashing "warning" light to me.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Over the last two years, I have had many readers of my manuscript. Non-players, low limit players, and high-stakes players loved it. $30-$60 to $80-$160 players usually complained that they only wanted play examples and a formulaic way to play better.

This is a book that will strike a chord with some players and not with others. I never said it was the best book ever written, but most high-limit players feel it is the only book that describes their world and considerations to be successful at the higher limits.

Barry
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Barry send me a free copy for my 18th birthday coming up on the 31st! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 PM

I haven't read the book yet, but it's set to arrive on Monday. I'm still excited for it. Not worth $30? Depending on the game you play, that's not even a bet. If a book has even a bit of really good info I've never seen before, it is WELL worth it IMO.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2005, 11:21 PM

Barry:

The chapter list reminds me of the content in Mason's fabulous Poker Essay series. Was this your influence when writing AotR? If so, I think I will be very happy to read your book. Those that I know who have met you (a small group I must admit) all rave about your finer qualities as both a person and a player, I look forward to the reading experience. Those who do not like it are probably looking for something more like TOP, HPFAP, or Haring ton's book I assume; obviously that was not your intention.

ON a slightly related note (only because I am in publishing for a living as well), I too am not a big fan of glossy pages with photos in my books. Generally I believe they negatively affect book sales.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$30-$60 to $80-$160 players usually complained that they only wanted play examples and a formulaic way to play better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not what I am looking for out of your book. As I said, I'm hoping to read a lot about the psychological aspects of the game.

I wouldn't even consider making a real judgement without having read the book, and am still looking forward to reading it. Anything I said about it's potential worth was based soley on the OP's description of a low amount of content. However, if it's even 2/3 as good as Malmuth and Sklansky are making it out to be, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

Nobody should be surprised if I post a positive comment about this book after I've read it.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Boon,

I would never want anyone to feel ripped off by me. I guess it is to be expected that there will be people who will not enjoy what I have written. Similarly, some people like me and some don't.

Send the book along with a note stating how much you spent including shipping (and shipping it back to us).

Here is the address:

Last Knight Publishing Company
P.O. Box 270006
Fort Collins, CO 80527

Be sure to include your address, and I will make sure you get your refund.

Thanks for taking the time to read the book, anyway. Sorry, you didn't get much out of it.

Barry