Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Crazy Question about Omnipotence

[ QUOTE ]
Just making a joke about an old thread.

Edit - I think mickey's also joking.

[/ QUOTE ] ha, I wasn't aware of the old thread. Also, I don't have a mathmatics background. And I am drunk. This proves to me once again that I am a genius.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ha, I wasn't aware of the old thread. Also, I don't have a mathmatics background. And I am drunk. This proves to me once again that I am a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

You look smarter than 99% of the people who posted in that thread (not to mention the airplane thread and the jason_t/John Nash thread).
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If God is omnisentient, then He already knows that Sam will be fatally hit by a bus tomorrow at 2PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he will not know this. He will only know the precise probability that Sam will be fatally hit by the Bus. When it comes to prediction that is all omniscience can do. But if he is also omnipotent, why then he can ensure that the Bus hits Sam.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too lazy to look it up now, but I thought the definition of omnipotence was all-knowing? Or is my sarcasm meter on the fritz again?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You look smarter than 99% of the people who posted in that thread (not to mention the airplane thread and the jason_t/John Nash thread).

[/ QUOTE ] I was joking about myself being a genius. I get smart attacks on occasion. But thanks for the reassuring words, it makes me feel good coming from you.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 AM

<font color="blue"> Well, if god is omnipotent isn't it a given that he already knows everything that _can_ happen and also has the power to change it? </font>

Omnipotence is all-powerful. Omniscience is all-knowing. So no, that doesn't follow.

If God knows whether or not Sam will be hit by a bus tomorrow, then He is powerless to change it. Hence, it cannot be omnipotent.

If God has the ability to stop Sam from being bit by a bus (or to cause a bus to hit Sam), then He could not have known what was going to happen before hand. Hence, He is not all-knowing.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm too lazy to look it up now, but I thought the definition of omnipotence was all-knowing? Or is my sarcasm meter on the fritz again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as there's lesser omnipotence (God can do anything, but he can't defy logic) and greater omnipotence (God can do anything), so there's lesser omniscience (God knows all, except outcomes) and greater omniscience (God knows all). It's "inherent" versus "total" omniscience.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 AM

omniscience- The capacity to know everything.

omnipotent - Having unlimited power, force or authority.

pokervintage
Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as there's lesser omnipotence (God can do anything, but he can't defy logic) and greater omnipotence (God can do anything), so there's lesser omniscience (God knows all, except outcomes) and greater omniscience (God knows all). It's "inherent" versus "total" omniscience.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I believe it's been well established that the biblical God knows the future. Hence, His omniscience should include knowing whether or not Sam gets hit by the bus (Jesus knew He would be betrayed, didn't He? -- He also knew Peter would deny Him 3 times before the [censored] crows, right?).

And if this is true, then the omnipotence God possessed would be tiny indeed. Since, any of us would be able to stop Sam from getting hit by a bus if we knew the exact time and place it would happen.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I was joking about myself being a genius. I get smart attacks on occasion. But thanks for the reassuring words, it makes me feel good coming from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I think you're very smart. But you have no idea how low I set the bar with that comment.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
omniscience- The capacity to know everything.

omnipotent - Having unlimited power, force or authority.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget the killer: omni benevolent, for the well being of everything. Obviously, manifestly not experienced in the world (animal, human and any other(?) sentient being included). Having said that, the dude isn't to be trusted with whatever he says.