Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: AA gets donked on drawy flop

I raise to $15 or so... He will more often be semibluffing or put you on a hand like AK/AQ and take a shot at this with top pair. You can take it down. If he's on a big hand he'll have to let you know now it's still affordable. Calling will only make the pot bigger and future mistakes more expensive.
If he's not very bluffy/agressive you can also just call and bet the turn if he checks, even when a spade comes, and fold if he bets. If he flopped a made hand it'll be hard for him to call and if he just made his hand he probably won't suddenly check. But I like raising a lot better against almost all opponents.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise to $15 or so... He will more often be semibluffing or put you on a hand like AK/AQ and take a shot at this with top pair. You can take it down. If he's on a big hand he'll have to let you know now it's still affordable. Calling will only make the pot bigger and future mistakes more expensive.
If he's not very bluffy/agressive you can also just call and bet the turn if he checks, even when a spade comes, and fold if he bets. If he flopped a made hand it'll be hard for him to call and if he just made his hand he probably won't suddenly check. But I like raising a lot better against almost all opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what do you do if he pushes? Leaving that out makes the whole post kind of redundant. When we raise this is a push or fold situation for villain. I think if we raise we have priced us in vs a range of mostly draws and stuff that beat us so we canīt really fold anymore. There are many spots where this is good strategy, do you think this is one of them?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM

I would shut down to action, because a push will mean he often has set, two pair, a flopped straight or a combo draw. We are badly losing and at least breaking even against all of these. If he pushes we are getting a little better than 2-1. I think we are to to far behind his pushing range to say we have enough equity.

I just think we take down $9.25 by risking $15 more than 60% of the time, making the raise itself at least breakeven.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM

I think calling the flop and re-evaluating the turn allows villian the chance to make the mistakes here. A bricked turn takes a HUGE chunk of his equity, even if he's on a big combo draw. Seeing a turn also allows you to pick up more outs if you are in fact up against two pair as well as gives you the opportunity to turn your aces into a bluff if the board gets even scarier and villian shuts down. Donking into a preflop raiser with a low connected board is something that I like to do, as it often takes down the pot against AK type hands.

Call flop and re-evaluate the turn. A bricked turn puts villian in a world of hurt if he's on a combo draw and will allow HIM to make the mistake, rather than you. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:25 AM

idontlikeyou: Against a passive I sometimes like this, but against most players I prefer a raise. You are right about villains equity on combo draws, but I don't see why to put him specifically on a combo draw. Besides villain will just check/fold or check/call if he gets the odds on this turn when he is drawing. I think there are a lot more normal draws villain could be donking with than combo draws. We like to make them pay or fold. I also think villain might have two pair or trips and we'd like to find out before the pot is to big to do so. What is your plan when he leads the turn?