Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Early small stack shoves. My AK?

I have to admit, I really like AKo only heads up, theres just too much that can go wrong, because it's still a connector. I would approach it trying to get the hand isolated.

I agree, the BB is your biggest worry, if he's aggressive you've got to make him pay to draw, maybe around 15K, half of someones stack is a pretty big psycological hurdle. If he's pretty conservative, and he's got a big over pair, AA, KK, your going in anyway, so at this point discourage the other players, I think the 9000 bet is better here.

Incidently, if I had the button, and was the only one left to act, I'd probably call with just about anything, because, chances are so is he.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Early small stack shoves. My AK?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm raising to 9-10k and calling any pushes, including one from the BB. His range would probably be much wider than JJ+,AK and we would be given good odds against that range. Calling seems too weak and pushing is WAY too strong. If BB has been REALLY tight I would fold to a re-raise, but I would need really convincing evidence to fold there.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think we'd have to already now that BB is a manaiac if we really believe he's coming over the top of an early push and a reraise with any hand we are ahead of. In which case, i'm not one to call off my whole stack when i know i'm behind and i have plenty of chips still behind me.

as far as flat calling, AK is not a strong enough hand to invite more action. you want this hand racing heads up, not oop in a multi-way pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still looking for a SINGLE point you have made that I can agree with.

Bolded section - if we will be all-in PF, how does the OOP matter?

Also, try stoving AK against some ranges of 2 villains, and you'll understand why I'd like to INVITE, not DISCOURAGE extra action.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that if you flat call and a shortstack pushes, this is a favorable situation, but not the only thing that can happen when you flat call. what we don't want to happen is for someone else to flat call behind us with good odds, esp the CO who has pos on us and the BB who has us covered.

for example, you flat call, folds around to the BB who now has to call about 3K more in a pot of around 9K. he can call with a lot of hands. what do you do when the flop misses you and he leads out or moves in? i bet what you do is wish you had isolated earlier instead of wondering if you should call the rest of your stack off with A-high.