Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Running Prop Bet

[ QUOTE ]
you're talking a 9 minute mile for someone out of shape. you're effed.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre a [censored] repository of stupid know it all posts arent you? from teh black tie thing, to this. moran. If my mom can WALK a 1.2 miles in 15 minutes, im sure most people can run one in 9.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
youre a [censored] repository of stupid know it all posts arent you? from teh black tie thing, to this. moran. If my mom can WALK a 1.2 miles in 15 minutes, im sure most people can run one in 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're wrong.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just graduated high school a month ago. I'm a little overweight. 5'6 150ish. Throughout high school i played cyo basketball during the winter and occasionally would go for a 1-2 mile jog. I've had a few stints where I started to regularly run, but they didn't last very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you're 18. Your 'rebound' time should be good. Have him give you two weeks to train if he wont give you odds.

I could run/walk 5 miles in probably 90 minutes without killing myself. I know I could hobble my 37 year old ass 1 mile in <10 minutes if I had to right now, but that would have to be a very big "had to" since it would totally expend everything I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it and report back.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

most people in teh OPs age range ldo.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

most people in teh OPs age range ldo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That I'll agree with.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 PM

if you had 6 weeks to train, i think it would be close.

as is, i think you'd need 65 minutes to get it done.

five miles in 45 minutes is a very good pace.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM

I went to the first Google result for "5 mile run results" and 45 minutes would put you 88th of 100 runners men age 20-29. So of people who would actually sign up for and participate in a competitive run, who we can safely assume have done some degree of training, 1 out of 8 of them can't do it. Without seeing you, in an even-money bet, I'd bet against you.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Or, before you make the bet, go try it and see what you can do. This isn't rocket science.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to the first Google result for "5 mile run results" and 45 minutes would put you 88th of 100 runners men age 20-29. So of people who would actually sign up for and participate in a competitive run, who we can safely assume have done some degree of training, 1 out of 8 of them can't do it. Without seeing you, in an even-money bet, I'd bet against you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, seriously? Then I'm close to 90th percentile. Cool.

OP, I'm about your height and I weigh a little more than you. I started jogging 4x/week last summer to get in shape, gradually improving my times and whatnot. On a treadmill.

It took about 8 months jogging 4x/week for me to get anywhere close to 5 miles at a 9 minute mile pace. I haven't tried to do 5 miles in 45 mins yet, but I did do 3 miles at a 8 minute mile pace so I could probably if I pushed myself. I think the best I've done is like 5 miles in 46:30 or so up to this point. Again, that's on a treadmill, so I probably would be a little slower outside.

In any case, this will not be easy at all with only a few days training.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, before you make the bet, go try it and see what you can do. This isn't rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do that, but I really don't feel like running 5 miles for nothing. The only reason I'm doing this is for the $ and to prove him wrong. Plus, if we do it this saturday, I dont wan't my legs to be sore the day of the actual thing.

I've gotten him to up it to 48 minutes, but I'm still pushing for 50. I would love to get odds, but I don't think he will give in. I don't think he wants to risk 5 figures even if he is pretty confident.