Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Gimme some John Wayne films to add to my queue

Okay, I'm a big fan of westerns, and I've seen over 40 of the Duke's flicks. Here are some recommendations with capsule reviews.

RED RIVER: I think this is one of the top 10-20 films of all time, marred only by a famously bad ending. Not only is it a compelling story from an entertainment standpoint, but it serves as a thoughtful commentary on western (and also action) movies, the western iconography and leadership. Many would argue that it is a particularly relevant film in today's political climate. That said, I think you'll get more out of RED RIVER if you watch a few other John Wayne movies first and develop more of an understanding of the genre that RED RIVER is commenting on.

EL DORADO: An evil rancher besieges a town, and it's up to The Duke to fend them off. Another Hawks flick here; in fact, it is a pretty straight remake of RIO BRAVO, an earlier Hawks/Duke collaboration. Both are solid films, but the action scenes are a little crisper in EL DORADO and the supporting cast is much better. Robert Mitchum replaces a rather one-dimensional Dean Martin in the role of a drunken lawman, and James Caan replaces teen-idol Ricky Nelson as a young gunslinger.

THE SEARCHERS: This is the Duke's most well known film, but IMO it's a little overrated. There is some beautiful cinematography, and incredible horse-related stuntwork. The film is probably worth watching just for those reasons, but the acting gets a little wild-eyed and I don't think the story is quite as deep as many critics make it out to be. I've always found it funny that the family chooses to build their farm on the fertile soil of death valley.

THE WTF? FILMS: Many of the Duke's films are incredibly dated. They can be amazingly politically incorrect, and some of the storytelling conventions used back then just come off as bizarre today. Save these ones for when you've had a few too many beers or bong hits. Probably the "best" of this class is HONDO , which I think was written by a libertarian on acid. In this one Wayne alternates between pontificating on the values of limited government and doing/saying incredibly bizarre and offensive things. There is a great scene where the Duke "teaches" a little boy how to swim. In a similar vein is the comedy McCLINTOCK!. Every race (except blacks) is stereotyped and insulted here. The ultimate message of the movie is that men should beat their wives when they act out of line (I'm not making this up). Adding to the weirdness is that much of the dialog is ripped directly from THE QUIET MAN, an earlier Wayne hit. Finally, THE CONQUERER is one of the most famously bad movies of all time. Wayne plays Genghis Khan, and all the very obviously American actors are Asianized by having their eyebrows taped up to make them look slanty-eyed. They speak in ridiculous Shakesperean diction and parade around in ludicrous costumes. This is the film that bankrupted Howard Hughes' movie studio, and it was shot on an active nuclear test site in Nevada... most of the cast, including Wayne, developed cancer.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he make tom cruise look like richard grieco

[/ QUOTE ]

I never grow tired of the "he makes A look like B" syntax. I'll laugh every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite one of these was the American tagline for LEON AKA: THE PROFESSIONAL.

Makes Speed look like a slow ride to Grandma's house!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as True Grit.....Hell, it deserves a star just for the last 20 minutes of the film, starting with the showdown in the mountain valley between Rooster and Ned Peppers bunch. For the two or three seconds that they hold the long distance shot, it rates right up there with one of the finest 'atmosphere' shots I've evern seen in any movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last 20 minutes? Hell, it deserves TWO stars just for the "I mean to kill you Ned" speech.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he make tom cruise look like richard grieco

[/ QUOTE ]

I never grow tired of the "he makes A look like B" syntax. I'll laugh every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite one of these was the American tagline for LEON AKA: THE PROFESSIONAL.

Makes Speed look like a slow ride to Grandma's house!

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine once tried to impress upon me just how far north Duluth, MN is.

"Duluth, that's WAY up there! They make Minneapolis look like Miami."

That was ten years ago, and I still laugh every time I think about it. I just laughed again when I typed it. I think the alliteration of Minneapolis/Miami helps.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM

One of the best films with John Wayne that no one has mentioned, although he doesn't star in it, is "The Longest Day". Be sure and look for a lot of star cameoes, but especially a very young non-star Sean Connery.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the best films with John Wayne that no one has mentioned, although he doesn't star in it, is "The Longest Day". Be sure and look for a lot of star cameoes, but especially a very young non-star Sean Connery.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a long day and a LONG movie John Wayne played a good part.

None of you are mentioning Mc Q grrrrr it's like one of the few movies he's not in a war in the old west taking over china etc

Not as good as dirty harry but pretty damn good
Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 AM

Yeah and the 2.3 trillion remakes of the "alamo"

I still think the John Wayne one was the best
Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 AM

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Wake of the Red Witch". Duke at sea, very entertaining.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Cowboys - One of the very few movies that will bring a tear to my eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

"We're gonna finish the job."
Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah and the 2.3 trillion remakes of the "alamo"

I still think the John Wayne one was the best

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but Davey Crockett was a pretty sweet movie too!