Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Discourteous, Unethical or OK

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're first to act. Can you just muck your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better course of action would be to hold on to your hand, wait for someone else to bet, and then when the action gets back around to you ...

Stare at the bettor for about 3 minutes. Try to look into his soul.

ask him if he can beat second pair

Then look at your cards. Hem and Haw a little bit. Then stare at him again.

ask the dealer for a chip count

Pick up your cards as if to fold them, pull back and look at your cards again, then look at your chips. Put your cards down. Stare at the bettor. Then in very, very slow motion... muck your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

cowboys no good huh?

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

on the real. different places have different policies. in an unraised pot (or a small pot) i feel it is ok since there isn't a lot at stake though some ppl say that it is unfair to the small blind since he checked with x num of players in the hand while someone else who might check now can bet knowing there is one less involved. for bigger pots or raised pots this is a big no no.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:43 PM

In the grand scheme of things, this is incredibly minor. Okay, for one hand somewhere, maybe it made a slight difference. In a limit game, maybe someone picked up a fraction of a bet or something. Yawn. And as someone else said, this is really just an extension of the "I'm totally gonna fold my hand when it's my action" tell, anyway. In NL, it can have greater impact, but hey, that's life. I'm sure I've benefited from this as much as it's hurt me, so I see it as a wash.

Still, don't do it. Show respect to others at the table.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM

I read a post from a guy once about a situation in a satellite tournament where he did this deliberately to let the guy behind him know he could try to take out the other player without fear of getting check raised by him. I thought it was a wrinkle that I hadn't thought of before.

It ticks me off a little when people do it, but its not really forbidden is it? You're definitely giving away information. On the other hand, I've also seem people check, and then hold their hand in the air, waiting for their turn to act, so they can muck and thought "if they are going to make it obvious, why not fold?"