Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: OK seriously, what besides AA could he have?

If you are hell bent on putting him on such a tight range, then why in the world do you push? Let's say you put him on QQ-AA. Why wouldn't you call and use position to extract the most out of QQ, or save chips when an ace flops.

If I put him on a very tight range like that and I (for whatever reason) think that he's capable of laying down QQ preflop if I push, then I call here every time. Letting others in the hand is only better since it increase the chance that you get a set paid off. You should get at least one of the callers here to call the 400, so now you should have your set odds.
I think that this is a pretty straightforward call for you preflop.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a real top notch player gets away from this hand with minimal damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a quote from Harrington on Hold'em Volume I which comes immediately after Harrington says he's not savvy enough to throw away Kings preflop:

"...here's a little secret from the world of top-class poker. Nobody else is that savvy either, no matter what they tell you (page 240)."
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 PM

Ok,

I didn't get away from it, so I decided that I could add QQ and AK to hands he might have. But that's exactly why I pushed. Why let him see the flop before committing with hands I beat, and why give medium pairs a shot behind me? By waiting for a non-ace flop I still lose the max to AA, and let anything worse a chance to get away. unless I'm willing to fold on the flop if I don't spike a set I think pushing right here is better.

The main reason for making this post was to see if anyone would be willing to trust a read, and clearly there isn't anyone saying get away so I'll retreat into the night.

But I still think that a good enough player could give up the 90 invested and run. I wish I was there.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok,

I didn't get away from it, so I decided that I could add QQ and AK to hands he might have. But that's exactly why I pushed. Why let him see the flop before committing with hands I beat, and why give medium pairs a shot behind me? By waiting for a non-ace flop I still lose the max to AA, and let anything worse a chance to get away. unless I'm willing to fold on the flop if I don't spike a set I think pushing right here is better.

The main reason for making this post was to see if anyone would be willing to trust a read, and clearly there isn't anyone saying get away so I'll retreat into the night.

But I still think that a good enough player could give up the 90 invested and run. I wish I was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

Not online. Not with those stacks. Live, maybe. With a super read, maybe.

As stated, not a chance.

Generally, people are saying that you are giving him too tight a range, but let's give him your range of AA-AA (plus aa). If you call, you are fairly likely to get at least one of the other callers to follow suit.

That means you are paying 310 to win 1200 right away. Add in just one continuation bet from AA on a K high board and you have your implied odds. Get anything else at all from the caller and you are solidly in +ev territory. Playing it this way (i'm not saying that this is the best way to play it) is better than zipping up preflop here.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play any hands except AA and KK that way, so one of the reasons I posted it is to see if any decent player does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I barely even feel qualified to be reading this thread but one piece of advice I've attempted applying, gleaned from this wonderful place is not to read into other players plays and I would've played the hand. The higher buy-in may take away some of that factor as you'd expect to have better players on average but they all can't be superstars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2006, 01:36 AM

Soss has this right.

If you can't fold this here, you need to do something other than push. If you push here, assuming he folds all but aces, you win 400 when you're ahead, and lose 1800 when behind. You can extract a lot more the times your ahead by calling. And even if he has aces, if the flop is scary theres a very small chance you can scare him off the best hand.

Basically if you're intent on going to the felt here, play it so you get the most chips the few times you are ahead of something like AK or QQ.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 AM

Can't get in the habit of folding KK pre-flop. The number of times he has 1010-QQ or AK more than make up for the few times he has aces. Automatic push here. Ran into some bad luck. Honestly I could see the same play from QQ or JJ to try to isolate.