Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: The difference between the 25/50 blind level and the 50/100 level

[ QUOTE ]
3.) By consistently raising 3xBB, you leave doubt in your opponent's mind as to whether you have a monster or not, i.e., are you going to call a push or not? So you threaten their entire stack with only a portion of yours. This is a very important concept. *You* may know if you are calling a push or not, but *they* don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
*You* do know if you are calling or not, but if you ARE calling, it's better to push. I really don't see any argument around that.

Saying that you still have enough room to work with if you fold simply isn't true. You are essentially backing yourself into a corner because of the blind jump. I still haven't seen anyone tell me why the jump in blinds isn't as significant as I think.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather have 510 on L4 than zero on L3

[/ QUOTE ]
This comment is flawed logic and you know it. It adds nothing to the conversation.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:29 PM

Agree- I'd like to see some discussion of level 4 drastic changes vs other levels (level 5, for ex)

I've used (solely) the 125 raise in level 4 (almost never pushing PF) and ptracker tells me that over approx 500 sngs, I'm positive approx +14,000 chips in level 4. (PF raise 16.9% of the hands)

Conversely, in level 5, my only move is "push or fold" (unless I'm huge stacked) and I'm down -25,000 chips in level 5. (PF raise 19.5% of the total hands)

I'd be curious to see stats of others - I think it's clear that I need some work on level 5...but a different strategy in level 4 may or may not contribute??
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM

"I've used (solely) the 125 raise in level 4 (almost never pushing PF) and ptracker tells me that over approx 500 sngs, I'm positive approx +14,000 chips in level 4. (PF raise 16.9% of the hands)"

This tells you nothing. I might have +1,000,000 chips by pushing. You have no contrasting evidence--you only say what your stats tell you and not what stats for a different type of play might suggest.

Anyways, this is how I have always played Splashpot. In addition to your situation above, I push all pairs from the CO and Button. I've only got 400 played this way so far, but I can PM you stats once I hit 1,000 ($22s and $33s, as you know). This is a strategy that I feel provides breathing room once it comes to level 4. For instance, enterting level 4 with 510 chips sucks because the blinds passing you once will take most of your fold equity. Having only 100-150 more makes a huge difference.

Bah, I am at school and can't really discuss this as much as I'd like. Splashpot, you should shoot me an IM and tell me more about how you play this. I'm already convinced it is a useful strategy.

Also, I think raising to t225 or whatever in level 4 when you have <10BBs is horribly dumb. I push a lot of the time when I have 12-1300 chips also.

I guess my entire argument is that playing mechanically is much easier than actually having to think about postflop decisions. If I wasn't doing a quick reply I would bold that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3.) By consistently raising 3xBB, you leave doubt in your opponent's mind as to whether you have a monster or not, i.e., are you going to call a push or not? So you threaten their entire stack with only a portion of yours. This is a very important concept. *You* may know if you are calling a push or not, but *they* don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
*You* do know if you are calling or not, but if you ARE calling, it's better to push. I really don't see any argument around that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are leaking information, which weakens your other steal attempts, but I'm sick of trying to convince people of that. So all I will say is, what's the limit here? 15xBB? 20xBB? 100xBB? Why ever raise anything less than a push, if you know you're going to call a push?

[ QUOTE ]

Saying that you still have enough room to work with if you fold simply isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's obviously and trivially true, because I'm talking about the hand in question, not about the future.

[ QUOTE ]

You are essentially backing yourself into a corner because of the blind jump. I still haven't seen anyone tell me why the jump in blinds isn't as significant as I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have 500 at L4. Big deal. Double up and you have more than when you started. Why does this scare you so much?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather have 510 on L4 than zero on L3

[/ QUOTE ]
This comment is flawed logic and you know it. It adds nothing to the conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you missed the point doesn't mean everyone did. If you're so afraid of having 500 at L4 that you are happy to risk busting out with KTs on L3 to win 75 chips, then that's your decision, and there's nothing more to be said.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 PM

First of all, I'm not trying to get into a flame war with you. I respect your input, it's just this is the first time I've disagreed with almost everything you've said.

[ QUOTE ]
Because you are leaking information, which weakens your other steal attempts, but I'm sick of trying to convince people of that. So all I will say is, what's the limit here? 15xBB? 20xBB? 100xBB? Why ever raise anything less than a push, if you know you're going to call a push?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no limit. If you're going to call a push and you're not trying to induce a call, then betting anything less than all in makes no sense. No matter how many BBs you have.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, it's obviously and trivially true, because I'm talking about the hand in question, not about the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
And your explaination for not being concerned about future hands is...

[ QUOTE ]
So you have 500 at L4. Big deal. Double up and you have more than when you started. Why does this scare you so much?

[/ QUOTE ]
Being scared of it and trying to avoid it are two different things. The same reason why we don't min-raise any hand really at the 50/100 level. According to your logic, if you had 800 chips, you could limp, fold, and still have 600. Not the end of the world, just double up and you're back in the game.