Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Icy Pots, bitches!

[ QUOTE ]
Great post Assani, except the only rookies that should be on that team are Durant and Oden. Brewer, McRoberts (LOLOL), and Noah aren't on that level yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you right now. I'm just saying that we may be influenced and surprised by their play this NBA season.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Bosh gets excited and jacks up 3's. It's who he is. Learn to love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benching a player will stop that quickly.

Basically what I'm calling for is some good "college" discipline from the coaching staff. The NBA is such a star powered league that superstars have free reign on the court much of the time. But with so many stars, we have to be more selective with our shots. When I played in college there were times that our coach flat out told players "I don't want you shooting a 3" or "Unless its a layup I want a post touch on every possession before a shot" or "2 ball reversals before a shot unless we have an open layup" and so on. Now obviously these NBA guys are probably too skilled to have set rules like that, but my point is that the coaches could control it a bit better than they are.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM

A decent write-up but as a big NBA guy I respectfully disagree with some of what you wrote.

You've already commented on your McRoberts, Noah, Brewer talk but these guys should not have found their name in this at all.

Redd is a tough shot maker. You should not base your opinion of him based on one scrimmage. It is vital to have a shooter like him on the roster to stretch the defense. Mike Miller is not even close to being an adequate substitution.

I agree that guys like Battier and Prince are also neccessary on the roster. They will do the little things throughout the course of a game to make a difference. I don't think it is so ridiculous to expect a team full of players like that (David Lee, etc) to put up a fight with Team USA or international teams.

Duncan would be an amazing addition to the roster. I agree that makes us an instant gold medal favorite.

Lastly, I'm a huge Chris Paul fan. Kidd, if healthy, is clearly the correct PG to lead the team. Deron, during the playoffs especially took his game to a new level and did some amazing things. I think choosing between he and Paul comes down to what you need more. If you want another PG who can be similar to Kidd and distribute choose Deron. If you want a tough guard with a little more scoring punch, I'd take CP3. I agree that Billups and Hinrich are not correct here.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theodoros Papaloukas
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
Nikos Zisis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos
Antonis Fotsis
Nikos Hatzivrettas
Dimosthenis Dikoudis
Kostas Tsartsaris
Dimitris Diamantidis
Lazoros Papadopoulos
Michalis Kakiouzis

[/ QUOTE ]

Greek names ftw.

Assaniapolis Fishapopoulis
Pokerfinkadiduis
Casius Closedididius

Wheeeeeee.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Assani,

Why are you hating on and marginalizing Amare? Makes me want to run an onslaught on your bitch azz.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theodoros Papaloukas
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
Nikos Zisis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Panagiotis Vasilopoulos
Antonis Fotsis
Nikos Hatzivrettas
Dimosthenis Dikoudis
Kostas Tsartsaris
Dimitris Diamantidis
Lazoros Papadopoulos
Michalis Kakiouzis

[/ QUOTE ]

Baby Shaq drafted by the Clippers like 5 years ago IIRC.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

Why are you hating on and marginalizing Amare? Makes me want to run an onslaught on your bitch azz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that more than any other player on the Suns roster he is a "product of the system." I don't think hes a bad player, but I think he has flaws particularly on defense and with mental lapses/hustle. He provides offense and great finishing ability- we don't really lack those in any way whatsoever.

The only thing I think he does better than Dwight Howard is have a bit better post moves and a little more range on his jumper...however with all the talent we have, we're not really relying upon that position to go to and clear out and let them go one on one, so those advantages are somewhat negated. I think that at our 5 spot we want the best rebounder and defender and finisher possible. Howard gives that to us, and imho Howard being on the team makes Amare relatively useless.

I realize that it sounds as if I'm completely bashing him, and I don't mean to imply that hes not a very solid player.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

He has a much better jumper than Dwight. He's just a flat out better scorer than Dwight.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You've already commented on your McRoberts, Noah, Brewer talk but these guys should not have found their name in this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point, but you guys have to realize that when I'm writing a long writeup such as the OP and I'm looking for examples that I'm not always going to come up with perfect ones.

With Noah/McRoberts I was just trying to give examples of good passing big men. I also included Chris Webber, and I don't think any of you think I was implying that he should be on the team. Hell I even included foreign guys, so I obviously wasn't implying they should be on the team.

Same thing with Brewer...I was just giving some examples of good role players. I would note, however, that out of these 3 players Brewer would shock me the least if he was considered for the team a year from now.

[ QUOTE ]
Redd is a tough shot maker. You should not base your opinion of him based on one scrimmage. It is vital to have a shooter like him on the roster to stretch the defense. Mike Miller is not even close to being an adequate substitution.

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally agree about the 'one scrimmage' point, and you'll see that I did note that in my OP. However, I'm still not sure I agree....

Yes Redd can make tough shots at a higher rate than Miller. However Redd was shooting tough shots yesterday, and I refuse to believe that Redd can make a tough 3 pointer at a higher rate than Miller can make a wide open one. There is so much talent on this team that we should never be settling for tough shots. Miller is used to being a second or third option and just camping out at the 3pt line and waiting for his wide open shot, and I think that is the role we need out of this spot.

I'll watch some more games and then re-evaluate my opinions though.

[ QUOTE ]
A decent write-up but as a big NBA guy I respectfully disagree with some of what you wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like we mostly agree on the rest of what you wrote. Thanks for your thoughts and comments. Are you new here or do you just not post much(I see you registered quite a while ago)? I ask because I don't remember you much from any of the other basketball threads.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that more than any other player on the Suns roster he is a "product of the system." I don't think hes a bad player, but I think he has flaws particularly on defense and with mental lapses/hustle. He provides offense and great finishing ability- we don't really lack those in any way whatsoever.

The only thing I think he does better than Dwight Howard is have a bit better post moves and a little more range on his jumper...however with all the talent we have, we're not really relying upon that position to go to and clear out and let them go one on one, so those advantages are somewhat negated. I think that at our 5 spot we want the best rebounder and defender and finisher possible. Howard gives that to us, and imho Howard being on the team makes Amare relatively useless.

I realize that it sounds as if I'm completely bashing him, and I don't mean to imply that hes not a very solid player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. Also, Derron Williams is a much much better player than Chris Paul now, and will continue to increase the gap the longer that he plays.

Also, Assani your defense of Carmelo makes sense, cuz I was going to say if anything he is the most selfish player in the NBA, but his desire to go 1v1 is more suited for the international game. But at the end of the game, he should be taken out.

And again lol at mcroberts.