Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Flop top pair and fold.

"I have a pretty even temper and it takes quite a bit for me to tilt off money. Now when I say that villan knows I'm running bad, this is because he has seen some of the hands that I have lost with in the past few hours. 2 or 3 big pots where I got pretty unlucky, one hand was against him."

This is exactly the kind of thing that usually makes someone go on tilt, no? Though my use of the term "tilt monkey" may be an overstatement.

Seems to me that laying down this hand in this situation requires a really good read on a specific player. Perhaps you made the right judgement...though I think you were tilting, knew it, and decided to overcompensate by "playing good." [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me that laying down this hand in this situation requires a really good read on a specific player. Perhaps you made the right judgement...though I think you were tilting, knew it, and decided to overcompensate by "playing good."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much closer to what happened than 'tilt monkey'

When I hear tilt monkey I always think of the guys that start throwing cards at the dealer and f-bombing everyone the second that things aren't going their way. Thats not me.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is much closer to what happened than 'tilt monkey'

When I hear tilt monkey I always think of the guys that start throwing cards at the dealer and f-bombing everyone the second that things aren't going their way. Thats not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

tilt comes in many shapes and sizes.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Chip Tapper' is easy to play against. He's got your Ace beat. His weakness is that he won't 3-bet a hand like A-K pf or even something like J-J. Once the flop comes down w/ that Ace he's not raising w/ K-Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] He doesn't play that way. So against that specific opponent you made a good fold, imo. Against a different opponent, well, you have to make the judgment.

btw: He only wears Party Poker polos when he plays. I'll give $5 to the first person who finds out how many he has and what he'll do when they finally fall apart. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

After posting I thought I would be better off just asking you and Pope what you thought because the hand was so read dependant. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's lots of different kinds of tilt. Personally, I tilt pretty bad (i.e. turn into a tilt monkey) but I never yell or swear or make a scene - I just get upset and play bad.

As for the hand, I think that if you made this fold and there was enough doubt in your mind that you posted it here, then you were probably tilting, at least a little.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Adding in the flush draw hands is ok, but there aren't that many of them. Let's give him KQhh, QJhh, and JThh. That's 3 combos

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can also go KThh, KJhh, QThh. Look, I'm not saying villain doesn't like his hand, but on paper this fold looks bad. I have to pick up a serious tell to fold AJ to a raise on an A62 flop given the PF action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, those were the exact hands I had in the original poker stove but decided to leave out (i.e. "bottom range of villain's hands).

To OP: If this hand is all read specific, and you are pretty positive he had one of the two hands you mentioned, why post on forums? You are only going to get skewed answers by people who would take a different, maybe more optimal line, against a villain we def wouldn't take if we knew him.

Not trying to bash; it seems like you have a good read on him and stuck by it. Gratz to you.