Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: short low content post

This is why you don't play 5/10 shorthanded with a 200BB bankroll. Seriously, this is your problem, not your ability.

I went on a 40K hand stretch of being down 650BB at 3-6 and 5-10 ap.

So including this stretch, after 100,000 hands, I'm at 0.72BB/100

Moral of the story, don't play underbankrolled in huge swingy games.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:39 PM

If you want to be aggressive with your bankroll, get 1000BB's, or at least 500BBs. Even 300BB's is too low playing short.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, this is your problem ( ur bankroll strategy), not your ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for reemphasis
Old 04-29-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be aggressive with your bankroll, get 1000BB's, or at least 500BBs. Even 300BB's is too low playing short.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer 2,000BB's but I have an extremely risk averse personality. 1,000 BB's should be just fine for a normal person.

I think its funny how I will never play at a limit without 2,000 big bets but I still wont wear condoms when I have sex. (I hate condoms) I guess we're all walking contradictions one way or another.

PS: I am a pull-out jedi master. Never got a girl pregnant yet. Only got a few diseases. They were curable.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer 2,000BB's but I have an extremely risk averse personality. 1,000 BB's should be just fine for a normal person.

I think its funny how I will never play at a limit without 2,000 big bets but I still wont wear condoms when I have sex. (I hate condoms) I guess we're all walking contradictions one way or another.

PS: I am a pull-out jedi master. Never got a girl pregnant yet. Only got a few diseases. They were curable.

[/ QUOTE ]

B, B or V?

If I had an extended stretch of -650BB, I might fold life - I think my worst ever was ~400bb and that was monkey tilt inducing...
Old 04-29-2007, 04:38 PM

I think, as others have pointed out, the problem is that you are playing at a very difficult HU/SH site (WPX) with a short BR. I've pretty much come to realize that if I beat the rake at 2/4 6MAX there at all, its only for a small % of a bet/100. Over the last ~30K hands (1/2 HU, 2/4 6Max, 3/6 Full) I'm down 200$. I've gone on two 250+ BB downswings in that time.

I don't think that I'm that good of a player actually, but I certainly beat the game without rake; however, if I were playing with your bankroll, I'd have gone broke a few times. (I need 1000BB to consider taking a shot at the next level andd 2000 to consider moving permenantly)

I think it's a pretty rare WPX player that actually beats the rake, and even rarer that they beat it for over .7 BB/100.

Edit: meh short-handed with good game selection one could probably break 1 BB/100 and HU with good game selection probably more. I can't though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh yeah. Wear a condom if your sleeping with randoms. Obv.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 PM

um 2k bets down comeback in the making but considering I used to love short games I make sure not to play in them anymore. The swings are just to insane to play 2-3 player games with 600-1k bet bankrolls. 200 Forget about it you are going to want to kill yourself.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM

well I can generally handle the swings. Peter's seen my roll managment, and I have no ego about dropping down and rebuilding when I run cold. I accept that as a function of the aggressive strat. Because I will always move down, I will never go busto.

The problem comes with motivating myself to plod back up through the super low rake-prohibitive limits. I know I can do it because I've done it before and because I can still spot the obv mistakes that many of my opponents are making. I'm having issues pushing my game to get better in this situation though, and grinding longer at these lower limits to build up an ever bigger roll seems counterproductive given the rake effect at non wpex sites.

FWIW, this is how I do my bankroll:

my entire roll = x bets.
to determine the stakes I'm playing at, I divide my roll by x. The nearest BB limit below that number = the stakes I'm at.
The net effect of this is that there are clear thresholds where BR = diff stakes. In this example, if my roll = 250 bets, then at $500 I move up to or down from 1/2. At 1k I move up to or down from 2/4 etc.
In practice, when I buy in at a table I treat that as a withdrawl from my roll, so if my roll when I sit down is $560 dollars I'll buy in for $60 at the 1/2 and then buy in for whatever the default is at .5/1.

I like this strat and have used for many many many many hands. It pushes me up out of the high rake stakes quicker, and allows me to consitently play the biggest game i can afford. Even if I run hot and move up to a limit that I can't beat as readily, I'll gain the table time at those stakes and have the things that I learn while playing "above my head" in my repertoire for when I earn my way back into those stakes. I bumped my head on 2/4 about 4 times before busting through it, and I've always anticipated this to be the case as I progressed with other limits. I've also gone through month and two month long stretches at the same limit without ever moving up or down.

I just never anticipated the type of downswing that would still crush me even through the rebuilding cycles.

If I up the br requirement it would require another immediate movedown. I certainly could do that, though I wonder if that's the most productive route.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Since there's a lot of talk of BR strategy, I'll throw this out there: Having a 1000BB roll at less then 3/6 is silly. Unless you're living somewhere with a very low cost of living, you're not deriving a substantial part of your income playing 2/4 online. Therefore there isn't any need to protect yourself from moving down. The idea of playing micros-2/4 should be to move up as quickly as possible without going busto. The most conservative I'd recommend would be moving up when you have 500BB for your current limit plus enough for a 50BB shot at the next limit and moving down when you have less then 500BB for the next lower limit. Depending on your personality and risk tolerance it's reasonable IMO to substitute 300 for 500 or even 200.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since there's a lot of talk of BR strategy, I'll throw this out there: Having a 1000BB roll at less then 3/6 is silly. Unless you're living somewhere with a very low cost of living, you're not deriving a substantial part of your income playing 2/4 online. Therefore there isn't any need to protect yourself from moving down. The idea of playing micros-2/4 should be to move up as quickly as possible without going busto. The most conservative I'd recommend would be moving up when you have 500BB for your current limit plus enough for a 50BB shot at the next limit and moving down when you have less then 500BB for the next lower limit. Depending on your personality and risk tolerance it's reasonable IMO to substitute 300 for 500 or even 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, also its allot more fun to play higher [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
bankrollmanagement is overrated, its all about tableselection