Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Christians/Jews - Who should be more concerned?

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that Mormons don't believe they are God's chosen people, then no problem, it will take me 2 minutes in my Book of mormon to give you a source. If you think Mormons don't believe other Christians are chosen and saved on their belief, then it will be more work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, yeah, the latter. It would be a bit silly if Mormons chose a religion that specifically excluded themselves from heaven.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 AM

Ok, very quick Google Kaj, from the official LDS website:

His entire mission was to emphasize the spiritual side of life and to establish an eternal plan of salvation by which, through his atoning sacrifice, all mankind might be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. I quote from this declaration of faith: “We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.”

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - web site

Among many other items relating to this on their official web site.

edit - the Gospel they are talking about is the gospel of Jesus Christ, not the Gospel of Mormonism.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The Christians obviously have information that the Jews don't have (even if it is wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah appear contradictory. There are two distinct pictures painted - one is known as the Suffering Messiah and the other as the Triumphant Messiah. Christians say Christ's first advent fulfills the Suffering part and His second advent fulfills the Triumphant part.

You might want to note that almost all of the early Christians were Jews and that most of the New Testament was written by Jews, all of the apostles were Jews, and the chief apostle, Paul, was a zealous Jew and persecutor of Christians before he converted.

You should also note that the disciples of Christ were initially devastated by His arrest, crucifixion and death - even though He told them about it many times, they either didn't understand it or didn't believe it - they were expecting Christ to lead a revolt to overthrow Rome and ascend the throne of David in fulfillment of the Triumphant prophecies. No one was expecting His resurrection either.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 AM

I dont see a Jew's rejection of Jesus as any more shocking than a Christian's rejection of someone like David Koresh.

Lestat, your OP seems to suggest that you would prefer to have misinformation than no information? That astronomers should therefore consult astrologers and such like.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 AM

Obviously the christians are the one who should be most worried. They have a notion of a god who revises his contract! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 AM

If the following statement is representative of the LDS
"church":

“We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all
mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and
ordinances of the Gospel.”

then, it is contrary to the gospel preached by the apostle
Paul:

e.g., to the Church of Ephesus, Paul wrote:

Eph 2:8-9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and
this not from youselves, it is the gift of God -- not by
works, so that no one can boast.

and to the Church at Galatia:

Gal 1:6-8

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one
who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a
different gospel which is really no gospel at all.
Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and
are trying to pervert the gospel of Jesus Christ. But even
if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other
than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally
condemned!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 AM

Don't worry, bigpooch,

It is obviously the christians that are reneging on the faith and the agreement with god, that was the Judaic tradition. Unfortunately for yuconcpa, so are the mormons since they really follow Jesus, the one that came to unsettle the peoples in their belief in, and agreement with their god.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see a Jew's rejection of Jesus as any more shocking than a Christian's rejection of someone like David Koresh.

Lestat, your OP seems to suggest that you would prefer to have misinformation than no information? That astronomers should therefore consult astrologers and such like.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm just saying it would concern me if I thought others might be privvy to information that I was not. To believe Christ is the Son of God must mean you have additional information than those who don't believe it. Whether that info is right or wrong is irrevelant. The question is, why don't others have it?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks NR.

So is it just a difference in interpretation? Or were the Jews skeptical of the resurrection? If Jesus did all that is attributed to Him, shouldn't it have been obvious to everyone at the time that He was not a mortal man? How could anyone dispsute that?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm just saying it would concern me if I thought others might be privvy to information that I was not. To believe Christ is the Son of God must mean you have additional information than those who don't believe it. Whether that info is right or wrong is irrevelant. The question is, why don't others have it?

[/ QUOTE ]

THis makes no sense
Jews have the same information, they just draw a different conclusion