Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: fess up you hybrid owners

I swallowed my pride and bought me a Taylor Made Dual Hybrid 19* 3-metal w/ stock graphite shaft. Tried it out & loved it. Very easy to hit. I was bombing it 230 yards, longer than my 15* 3-wood. Haven't played an actual round with it yet, but I'll be back for an update next Sunday.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I swallowed my pride and bought me a Taylor Made Dual Hybrid 19* 3-metal w/ stock graphite shaft. Tried it out & loved it. Very easy to hit. I was bombing it 230 yards, longer than my 15* 3-wood. Haven't played an actual round with it yet, but I'll be back for an update next Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the "swallow my pride" thing with hybrids, considering the number of guys on tour (including Lefty) who carry a hybrid in the bag.

BTW, I moved closer to the ball when I hit the hybrid, and it's like night and day. Love it.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 AM

I've tried out a few hybrids and they feel okay, particularly the Taylormade and Mizuno ones. I did find that I couldn't shape the ball as well, but that of course will be standard when using an 'easy to hit' club.

I recently helped a friend of mine who was starting golf buy his first sticks. Ended up finding a nice beginners set for a decent price, £120 (220 dollars methinks). Hippo set, where the 3, 4 5 irons are replaced with hybrids. He likes it, but says that he can't wait to get better so he can stick long irons in the bag to replace hybrids. I personally think this is the right view for a beginner. If he gets to the level where he is good enough to start hitting a 3 iron instead of a 3h, I would tell him to go for it. I do think that when (and if..) he does switch to long irons, it will slow down his progress in the short run, he won't have as much consistencywith them to start with as he did the hybrids, but once he hits them well I think he will be a more versatile golfer.

I am all up for hybrids, if the conditions arise that I will need one in the bag, I'll get one. But for now I'm happy with my set.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Question from a curious non-hybrid owner.

Those of you who say you are saving 3-4 strokes per round by playing hybrids. Do these strokes come from tee shots, second shots on par-5's, or approach shots?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those of you who say you are saving 3-4 strokes per round by playing hybrids. Do these strokes come from tee shots, second shots on par-5's, or approach shots?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I purchased the 23degree Nickent 3DX Ironwood and played my first round with it yesterday. For me the strokes were saved off the tee box and with approach shots. The course I played had several dog legs which allowed me to hit the hybrid off the tee. If I wasn't in the fairway I was just off the fairway and consistently 200+ yards out. I was often teeing off with my hybrid and then using it again for my approach shot.

After the round, I went and purchased the 17degree Nickent 3DX Ironwood. In the simulator I was hitting it 20 yards further then the time I hit the 23degree in the simulator. I took the 3wood and 5wood out of the bag last night and they are going up on Ebay to help offset the cost ($98 each right now at PGA Superstore) of the Nickent hybrids. Finally, I recommend Nickent strongly. My 23degree has the UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 370 shaft, R flex, 84 grams. My 17degee has the Aldila VN Hybrid 75-S shaft, S flex, 75 grams.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question and i have a good example. I was playing on a local course here the other day and tried to hit a hard draw on a dog leg left and ended up topping the ball and hitting it 50 yards...the hole is 305 par 4 (i know its a short course built back in the day)...anyway so that left me with approx 230-250...so I smack my Cleveland 3I HALO hybrid to the downhill green and land it on the right edge on the fly.

So sum up, I get most of my use from approach shots from distance b/c now the 200yrd + shot for me is easier to control.