Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Can you fold AK in the BB to a shove?

I think you need to call because his range is really wide and you may have him dominated, as others said. But if hes been a rock, you can fold and still have plenty of chips.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if your not confident with your post flop skills, then yea maybe you can think that AK is a made hand

[/ QUOTE ]AK can win a showdown unimproved. In fact, I have won with AK unimproved on many occasions where I did not get it all in before the flop. I am very confident in my post flop skills, especially against people who call AK a "drawing hand".

But that has nothing to do with passing up +EV spots, which this is. This has nothing to do with your ability to play post flop poker. If you want to avoid all in confrontations, tournament poker is not the place to be.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:36 AM

I'd be shocked if the villain had AA or KK even close to 5% of the time. Then again, we've all seen how often the big blind wakes up with AK so maybe he was counting on that.

You can fold here and have a good shot at the FT, but the final three is where the real money is and this seems like as good a spot as any to double up and try for a big score.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 AM

I understand what your saying about +EV, all im saying is that a person with a health stack that shoves in position will probably have a hand at least 10's or higher, maybe AQ, thats what i believe at least. Im not saying i wouldnt call here, all im saying is i might not call if the guy was a rock.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you fold here? ever? 18 left from 560 $20 MTT, villians range is norm, A8+, 10J+ prob any PP 55+, average player. if so, please give a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]Obv it's already been stated that you need to call vs this range.
Another factor to consider when you can put villian on a tighter range (from exp I'd say JJ is a VERY likely hand for him to have), is the +EV of being the big stack 10-12 handed when people tighten up trying to make the FT. Winning this hand could very possibly give you the opportunity to steal dozens of rounds of blinds uncontested.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because it's the looser end of the range. If I've never seen villian do this then I'm pretty much not calling here.

[/ QUOTE ]

what sort of range of BBs would be your max to call in this situation? obv if villian has ~10bbs or ;ess you insta call it....?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it's an insta-call with 10BBs or less. As far as range in BB's goes, anything that doesn't make me go, what the hell (=TT+, AK), why is he pushing instead of raising here? 20 BB's in the final stage of a tournament is more than enough to steal your way to the final table. especially with 3x raises.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:31 AM

call
Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM

One of the most important things about this situation is that he is extremely unlikely to be holding AA or KK.

This is a massively +EV call, even though you want to throw up when he flips over 22.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:06 PM

If you put him on a range like you gave here, you already anwsered yourself this question.
Its most likely 60-40 in your favour. You cannot find a better spot for your money, no one can with this blinds. So just call.