Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Trying to pick a biography to read

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to just ask this question here. Has anyone read the auto of Ben Franklin? I read a section of it and found it worthwhile and it is something that I have always felt I needed to read because of what I've heard is in it (in terms of thoughts and stuff).

Is it one that I should be considering can't miss, as I currently do?

Blarg, you mentioned it, and I assume you read it and thought it was good based on the post, but it is hard to tell when something is just recommended by "I heard it was good" and "It was one of the best books I've read."

[/ QUOTE ]

I read like half of it as a kid, and really liked it a lot. I definitely intend to finish it off sometime this year, and was looking through Amazon.com for Franklin books just recently. Incredibly fascinating guy and life. His autobiography is very well thought of, so I don't think you'd go far wrong. What interested me when reading it was how methodical his positive energy was. He really laid everything out and planned it. Supposedly in real life he was like this too, according to a special on him I saw. He would wheel goods up and down the street at a quick pace -- for no reason. But it made people think him a successful young man hard at work, and so it was a calculated bid to get noticed and establish credibility. Seems silly, but the guy became enormously respected at a very young age and was indeed very industrious; if he faked it a little, it was kind of like gilding the lily. But that such an ambitious guy took things that one step further showed how determined and sly the bugger the was. Interesting fellow! And one of the most respected scientists and businessmen of his day.