Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Re: The \"Big Game\"

I'm pretty sure that if you are a winning player at the big game(4k-8k), you make more $/hour there than you would with a bigger edge at 1k/2k. The 2k/4k and 3k/6k isn't that much softer than the real big game. Doyle, Chip and Barry are without much doubt winning players at the big game. Probably some others as well and the rest I think can be credited to the Peter Principle.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 AM

I think what he was refering to, is that sometimes a real small edge is worth passing up if you feel you are significantly better than that opponent, and are pretty sure a much more solid opportunity will arise to get the money.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Well, that's true too -- but I was more just having fun speculating on how an average Big Game player could do at the next level down.

In the context of this thread, I understood this branch to be about the following question: Assuming that the best player in the world is only going to have a small edge over the 10th-best player in the world, doesn't it make sense not to push that small edge? And I'm saying that it might make sense to push that small edge, but not at the opportunity cost of pushing a bigger edge in a smaller game. In other words, couldn't Doyle, Barry, Phil, Jen et al beat a smaller game for more rather than playing against each other? I realize it's different when a real donor comes into the BG. Then again I suppose the players might all leave the smaller game when a "name" player comes into the game.

At any rate, I know only what I've read about the BG so any view into this corner of poker legend is interesting to me. My posts on the topic are highly speculative, though.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Why would the big name poker superstars choose to play in the big game against one another? To the extent these folks (Brunson, Reese, Ivey, Negranu, et al.) are famous already and presumably able to sign big book deals and get endorsements, how can they justify the time it takes to pound on each other for no real profit?
For one of the best players in the world to get better at the game, they would have to play against the other best plyaers in the world.

also publicity

also who else is going to play poker for that much money?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Using this math, they would do better in the 3/6.

I think that the winners are beating the game for more than .4BB/hr.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:00 PM

I often pondered this very question. Now the more I understand poker the more obvious it has become.

also reminds me of the springsteen lyric "All men want to be rich, rich men want to be king. And a King can't be satisified until he rules everything"
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doyle, Chip and Barry are without much doubt winning players at the big game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doyle is a donator in this game, sad, but true.