Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Location: cook me on your grill and feed me to your neighbors
Default Re: Would you try this game?

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing hold'em for about 4 years now, and I have become a winning player. I have a bankroll that is currently about $2,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

This answers your own question in an unpleasant way. DUCY?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing hold'em for about 4 years now, and I have become a winning player. I have a bankroll that is currently about $2,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

This answers your own question in an unpleasant way. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true.

I am a winning player for over four years now and my roll is similar, due to the fact that I paid for my wedding, paid bills and other things with monies.

Your roll shouldn't be bigger than your bank account.. so if you are becoming successfull in poker and the roll grows large AND you have a family with NEEDS for those poker dollars... you TAKE THEM OFF THE TABLE.

So, in closing.. having a 2k roll after a few years does not neccessarily mean he isn't a winning player.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Yeah... this is definitely my case. I keep meticulous records about my cash and tournament play. I am up for the year on both. I won't bore you with stats because I don't think anyone really cares.

I regularly run my bankroll up to $6,000 or more, but then I use it for other for other things. I've paid for vacations, my daughter's First Communion party, Christmas gifts, etc. My family feels good that I share what I win with them. In that my way, my hobby becomes something that everyone takes an interest in.

As I said, this is just a hobby for me, not my career and definitely not a means of supporting my family. I usually just keep enough in my bankroll to play in 1/2 NL games and small stakes tournaments.

The only times when I've really thought about tightening up on the use of my bankroll is when I get the urge to move on up to higher stakes, as in the case of the opportunity in the OP. Maybe next time I run my bankroll up, that is what I'll do with it.

In any event, I appreciate all the advice.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 AM

There is a definite mathematical risk of losing it all, but obviously you can stop that if you want. You could easily hit a couple coolers and lose 2 buy ins (and then leave). Or you could be slowly bled dry by draws that you have to call, that don't hit.

You might want to go and play really tight. Not necessarily super tight preflop, but really cherry pick the profitable situations in a nitty way. Don't just cold call raises with 66, wait until you're in late position and it's limped to you. Or raised with 5 callers. Don't play any speculative hands in early position. Don't bluff. Raise for value with the real premium pairs, but don't be afraid to limp AK or JJ. You will be surprised how large a raise will be called when you have AA, even if everyone has noticed you haven't played a hand in awhile. I was real worried when I would play tight like this, like I might as well be playing with my cards up. I finally realized how big I could raise with KK and still get 2 or 3 callers. One guy even said he knew I had AA but he called a gigantic raise to try and bust me.