Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Brag, Beat, or Variance?
Brag 8 10.67%
Beat 9 12.00%
Variance 13 17.33%
BASTARD! 45 60.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: 286 billion Farm Aid Bill for 2008

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you address the actual arguments that farm bill supporters use? Shouldn't the government subsidize the industry to ensure that there's always an available food supply? To the extent that we subsidies cause oversupply, isn't that our national hedge against overseas global events?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really know that little about economics?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you address the actual arguments that farm bill supporters use? Shouldn't the government subsidize the industry to ensure that there's always an available food supply? To the extent that we subsidies cause oversupply, isn't that our national hedge against overseas global events?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the impression he was just articulating the proponent's position.

natedogg
Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a [censored] retard. If takes a little Devil's Advocacy to stop the endless circle jerk of bringing up exhausted objections to libertarian arguments, so be it. We all know the costs in regards to current farm policy. What are the possible benefits? And what exactly about my point was ignorant?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No the government shouldn't subsidize them, it's patently ridiculous. This is one of the largest vote-buying scams ever. The government takes our money, gives it to the farmers, they then take a cut and then donate it back to the politicians so they can get re-elected. Rinse, repeat.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 PM

All the government needs to do if thats what they really cared about is to buy a 5 year supply of MREs or some other non-perishable food and have them in distribution sites around the country. This would be considerably cheaper than paying farmers every year.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 PM

EDIT: You answered my question in the post above this, nevermind.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM

I'd be more favorably inclined if they could guarantee these subsidies only went to small farmers. Much of the subsidies are received by large agriculture conglomerates that definitely dont need the subsidies or by people "playing farmer" in order to receive the subsidies (surprise surprise).
Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be more favorably inclined if they could guarantee these subsidies only went to small farmers. Much of the subsidies are received by large agriculture conglomerates that definitely dont need the subsidies or by people "playing farmer" in order to receive the subsidies (surprise surprise).

[/ QUOTE ]

These two sentences are completely contradictory. It *is* the small farmers who are only "playing farmer" in order to receive the subsidies. They cannot compete without handouts. Hence they are only playing. They should get out and go do something productive instead of wasteful.

This is like saying you think the government should give subsidies to thousands of people who build kit cars in their garages becasue they can't compete with GM, Ford, and Toyota.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These two sentences are completely contradictory. It *is* the small farmers who are only "playing farmer" in order to receive the subsidies. They cannot compete without handouts. Hence they are only playing. They should get out and go do something productive instead of wasteful.

This is like saying you think the government should give subsidies to thousands of people who build kit cars in their garages becasue they can't compete with GM, Ford, and Toyota.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to think there is a societal benefit that isnt easily quantified by keeping small, family type farms afloat. I'm pretty sure you know what I meant by people "playing farmer", but let me know if you'd like me to spell it out. The car maker analogy isnt really relevant because the individual car maker has never been a part of the American tradition and communities arent built around groups of individual car makers, whereas many communities exist in the USA that are.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to think there is a societal benefit that isnt easily quantified by keeping small, family type farms afloat. I'm pretty sure you know what I meant by people "playing farmer", but let me know if you'd like me to spell it out. The car maker analogy isnt really relevant because the individual car maker has never been a part of the American tradition and communities arent built around groups of individual car makers, whereas many communities exist in the USA that are.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what you are saying, is that hundreds of millions of people should be made poorer, so that a few tens of thousands of people can continue to live in a play-pretend nostalgic fantasy of yesteryear.

I disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
I happen to think there is a societal benefit that isnt easily quantified by keeping small, family type diners afloat.

[/ QUOTE ]

See? There are all kinds of bygone traditions that the government shouldn't spend taxpayer money preserving solely for the sake of preserving them.

Everything used to be "small, family type". Not just farming, but manufacturing as well. There is no reason to rob people to preserve the one but not the other, so the car analogy is perfectly apt.