Default Re: top 50 players in NBA history

[ QUOTE ]
what about Tom Chambers?

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Clark, but only cuz I'm a Sheed lover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a new criteria for judging people - those who like / appreciate Sheed, everyone else.

Great Rasheed Fan Page

-Al
Old 05-10-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm sure many of you are old enough to remember when this list came out (lol only 11 years ago)

http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html

I have a feeling that when the 75th birthday comes along, they'll do the top 75 at 75, because it would be too much of a burn to remove people from the 50. But I want to do that in this forum today. In your opinion, who is in, and who is out ?

You only get 50, maybe just list the a group of X players you feel would get the boot, and those who go in.

I'll start by who I'm taking out:

Worthy, Lucas, Lenny Wilkins, Sam Jones, Wes Unseld, John Havlicek, Hall Greer, Bill Sharman, Dolph Schayes, Dave DeBusschere, Earl Monroe (that breaks my heart).

Ok I scrap 11 of them. Enter:

Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki , Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Chris Webber, Gary Payton

obviously there are some players in the next few years poised to bump others out (Wade, Boozer, James), but I don't think they are there yet. And no, Reggie Miller and Vince Carter didn't make my cut...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of this is psychotic. Chris Webber? Well, I do remember that jump shot he made over Shaq to open up a game 7 overtime LOSS in the Western Conference Finals. Too bad there's no other argument for putting him on this list.

Ray Allen will fall into that golden-gray category of great shooters who have little else in their games to celebrate. I think that OP is on crack for taking John Havelchik off his list, yet adding Ray Allen on it. Ray Allen should stop into Havelchik's house sometime and polish his 7 championship rings.

T-Mac is not on this list either. He needs to do more than be phenominal 75% of the time. Also, it wouldn't hurt if his teams actually supported him during a game 7. That would be a nice start. In my heart of hearts, I'd love to see T-Mac on the list - his game 7 performance in this year's playoffs will go unsung because his supporting cast took a [censored] nap.

I have a big, big problem with AI on this list. Yes, he's an MVP and perennial all NBA selection and he's 6'0 and scrappy and scores a lot of points. Unfortunately, teams don't win with him. The Nuggets, for all intents and purposes, got a whipping by the Spurs in the first round. People who are enamored by AI and Carmelo love to come up with tremendous euphemsims like "Yeah, they are gonna lose in 5, but did you see how TOUGH they played and what a warrior AI is?" Yeah, I [censored]' saw - SA lost game 1 by 5, they hit the free throw line 10 times. They made a few adjustments and blew Denver out of the water? Why? Because good teams adjust to AI easily. Just keep your compusure and, remember, that no matter how fast this guy is, no matter how much of a blur he creates, he's gonna shoot about 40% on most nights and he's not going to get his team into an unflappable offensive flow. In fact, he may wind up confusing his younger teammates as well. To me, that's not a hall of fame player - that's an introduction of a new, losing generation of basketball. I guess at this point shot outs to Jamal Crawford, Stephon Marbury, and Nate Robinson (lookit - I just listed three members from the Knicks) are in order.

Now, I love the Steve Nash pick (almost for all the reasons I hate AI), and I'm on board with Nowitzki, even if his playoff choke in the first round is one of the shittiest things I've ever seen from a superstar in NBA history. I guess John Starks will sleep a little easier now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I think that Nowtizki HAS changed the game in a positive way and that, fwiw, Dallas will find a way to get this guy a ring or two. I'm that confident in Nowitzki's abilities.

And the same goes for Kidd.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that OP is on crack for taking John Havelchik off his list, yet adding Ray Allen on it. Ray Allen should stop into Havelchik's house sometime and polish his 7 championship rings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eight.

He and Don Nelson were the only two Celtics to be key contributors on both the Russell and Cowens eras, and he claimed that if he knew Larry Bird was coming along two years down the road he would have kept playing. He was still an effective player at the end of his career, but the Celtics were starting to suck and it wasn't fun anymore.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 PM

I remember the ceremony during the all-star game. It was electrifying. Only Jerry West (who was ill) and the late Peter Maravich were not there, the other 48 were. Chamberlain and Russell helped George Mikan get up on the platform when he was called, what a sight.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Chris Webber's not half the player of any of the guys you would take off. Ray Allen might be half, but not much more than that.