Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever hiked a 8k meter/26k ft. mountain?

Badger, thanks for the story. This is the sort of thing I was looking for!

James
Old 01-02-2007, 08:04 PM

You do realize that your death rate is pretty solid for a 15k mountain hike leaving on a summer day in T-shirt and shorts and a fanny pak at 11AM for a 8 hour hike?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that your death rate is pretty solid for a 15k mountain hike leaving on a summer day in T-shirt and shorts and a fanny pak at 11AM for a 8 hour hike?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, compared to things like walking around town or reading - and not taking into account age/physical fitness/how cautious you are. I appreciate your concern, but am curious if you have any experience with this sort of thing that you think I would find helpeful. Otherwise, consider your advice in the form of cautionary one liners taken.

James
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM

James,

Its mostly weather related. Your physical condition at one point becomes immaterial. Walking 4 hours down a mountain through driving snow is not much harder for a 2:20 marathoner or 3:00 guy. Not to mention that running doesn't use the same muscles as hiking. But I digress... It's harder than it looks and needs preparation.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James,

Its mostly weather related. Your physical condition at one point becomes immaterial. Walking 4 hours down a mountain through driving snow is not much harder for a 2:20 marathoner or 3:00 guy. Not to mention that running doesn't use the same muscles as hiking. But I digress... It's harder than it looks and needs preparation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. I can certainly appreciate the perils that weather can have on a trip - but while I've had some bad luck with weather in the past(it rained on me in Joshua Tree and Sequouia on separate trips, for christ's sake!), I don't think it makes me any more or less a prime candidate to die while hiking a major mountain.

Also, according to my research, the weather in Tanzania and in Kilimanjaro during January(when i would theoretically go) is the best of the year, and summitt attempts are far more successful during this time than any other. I should re-emphasize that I would pay top dollar for the most highly acclaimed guides since the difference in money seems like it would not be that significant.

James
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM

James,

It seems that you actually, despite not seeming like you know much about it ATM, seem that you are willing to spend a significant amount of time learning about this. From the tone of your original post it seemed that you were going to find a map, grad your Nalgene, grind 7k more hands, drive there, and walk up it. Which seems like a pretty solid deal.

IIRC mostly mountains have storms in the early afternoon. Even like little weeny mountains... Most places advise setting out fairly early in the morning. This can turn a hike of almost no chance of death into a pretty [censored] deal when you get caught up on a mountain in a veritable blizzard.

GL
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James,

It seems that you actually, despite not seeming like you know much about it ATM, seem that you are willing to spend a significant amount of time learning about this. From the tone of your original post it seemed that you were going to find a map, grad your Nalgene, grind 7k more hands, drive there, and walk up it. Which seems like a pretty solid deal.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, no invincibility complex here. Plus, I would def use my Camelback, not my Nalgene. I'm absolutely willing to do the research, and I definitely don't know much about it yet, but I figured that there would be a decent size population of people on 2p2 with some hiking experience who could chime in and possibly point me in the direction of some helpful resources, or tell some interesting stories at the very least.

James
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 PM

James,

F all these weaklings. I'll go walk up a mountain with you. How f'ing hard can it be?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Practice here in the Grand Canyon, at least here you won't die of hypothermia.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James,

F all these weaklings. I'll go walk up a mountain with you. How f'ing hard can it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sayin.

James