Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Jason_t\'s flight home...

[ QUOTE ]
But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-08-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha -- (he stops abrubtly and falls over, dead)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-08-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha -- (he stops abrubtly and falls over, dead)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sicilians are great liars. The best in the world. I'm a Sicilian. And my old man was the world heavyweight champion of Sicilian liars. And from growin' up with him I learned the pantomime. Now there are seventeen different things a guy can do when he lies to give him away. A guy has seventeen pantomimes. A woman's got twenty, but a guy's got seventeen. And if you know 'em like ya know your own face, they beat lie detectors to hell. What we got here is a little game of show and tell. You don't wanna show me nothin'. But you're tellin' me everything. Now I know you know where they are. So tell me, before I do some damage you won't walk away from.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:46 PM

so you - you're part eggplant.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you - you're part eggplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a cantaloupe.

BLAM!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:02 PM

Both choose 99.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:06 PM

They should both write $100 because they both know what will happen if they go through the logic of cheating all the way down to $2. I mean obviously this is a classic prisoner's dilemma problem but in real life the $1 is not worth the risk of losing $100.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both choose 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's your answer, why not both choose 100?

i hope someone proves something as to the correct answer...MDW is surely the closest so far.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both choose 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's your answer, why not both choose 100?

i hope someone proves something as to the correct answer...MDW is surely the closest so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if you choose 100, he can choose 99, and get 101 total, while you get 97.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They should both write $100 because they both know what will happen if they go through the logic of cheating all the way down to $2. I mean obviously this is a classic prisoner's dilemma problem but in real life the $1 is not worth the risk of losing $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

They won't go through all that logic. All strategies involving #'s 98 or below are dominated.

Well, maybe not. Hold on. I stick by both 99 though.