Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: uNL: TAP Intro

Strengths: Math, attentive to image, good memory and able to apply given reads.
Weaknesses: Overplaying hands, I sometimes turn into a calling station since I see myself folding to alot of raises when I whiff postflop.

I hope I can get good enough at no limit, enough to beat the 25nl level at 5ptb/100.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:05 AM

sbrugby
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody asked about what are some good books for NL cash, and you said there aren't any. Have you read Phil's Little Green Book or NL Theory and Practice? I was considering getting them, and a high stakes pro's comments would be helpful.

Yes I have read phils book and it is ok but not great. NL theory and practice isn't very good either. I guess they will help your game put the forums are much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

discuss
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 AM

strength:Can be very aggressive at appr. times,selecting board texture, value betting
weakness:make crying calls on the river way to much, overestimate my implied odds when drawing, tilt, playing when distracted,
goals:Learn to control tilt, play only when focused, laying down hands when I know I could pick a better spot (esp. at these stakes) only drawing at the appr. times.

I think this is an awesome idea discussing this kind of book
Old 05-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Sbrugby's a donkey [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] jk

I read an interview once of boostedJ i believe and he said that reading any and every poker book is a good idea because not only are you gaining good information that would have taken you years to discover yourself, but when you can realize and know when a book is bad, when you can pick through the information and desipher the right from the wrong it will give you confidence in yourself.

Lastly, reading the same books that others have read, you can get inside of the minds of your opponents

It's like everybook is a playbook for poker players, knowing all the playbooks will give you different perspectives on how your opponents might be playing.. you can piece together their play and figure out that they follow playbook X.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM

It's an offhand comment without context, so it's hard to say. He says the forums are much better, which puts you in the same spot, actually. There are some horrible suggestions in the forums to go with the pearls. Doesn't matter where the info comes from, you still have to use your brain to break it down and figure out its usefulness.

Short form: Don't let some snappy comment become an excuse to not read something.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short form: Don't let some snappy comment become an excuse to not read something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM

I read the little green book. Its got some good stuff and bad stuff in it, I basically studied it cause it was the first poker book I ever got. I of course figured reading the book and really understanding it would make me a poker super-star.

Anyhow, honestly I think playing hands>reading forums>reading books. I wouldn't buy a poker book now unless that was a new theory-type book like theory and practice or theory of poker. Mostly because they look at ideas of how to play and whatnot, and its really hard to convey how to play poker in a book for whatever reason.

Tournie donks can probably learn more from books than cash game players can though. There isn't any good cash game books from what I know.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:17 PM

playing hands>reading 2+2>reading books

Books are for total beginners.
I recommend SS1 and/or SS2 to learn the importance of agression. The sklansky books should be read to get an idea of the math thing and preflop play. Both is very important though. Finally ... blind stealing, abusing the button, playing against calling station etc. can only be learned via playing hands and reading 2+2.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM

1. What do you consider your biggest poker strength?

The ability to put a player on a hand and to play the hand accordingly.

2. What do you consider your biggest weakness?

I tend to play too tight and do not use my tight image to my advantage my bluffing at an optimum frequency.

3. What do you hope to get out of this discussion?

To improve my game.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What do you consider your biggest poker strength?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live: lack of tilting (ask Guruman)
Online: ability to concentrate for a loooooong period of time.

[ QUOTE ]
2. What do you consider your biggest weakness?

[/ QUOTE ]

considering hand ranges in the moment, or possibly evaluating lines mid-hand.

[ QUOTE ]
3. What do you hope to get out of this discussion?

[/ QUOTE ]

A thorough discussion of a book I wouldn't be able to discuss with a friend live.