Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing the point and fixated on those who will suffer during climate change and in the immediate aftermath.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the statement of an evolutionist that believes in survival of the fitist. If a calamity occurs, something similar to the plague, those that survive will be stronger and thus better off for the calamity. You accept that the immediate generations after a calamity will suffer but that some how later generations won't suffer in the same way. Somehow they will adapt and adjust. Sounds optimistic. Sounds like we should welcome the calamity so that future man can live better. Sounds like we should welcome global warming. Sounds like you are basing your opinion on something you have no way of knowing. That is, how do you know what kind of calamity global warming will cause and to what extent it will affect future generations. What if the calamity is on the same scale or greater than that that has caused extinction of species in the past. What if there was posibilty that the calamity would cause extinction of our species. Would it be relevant then?

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing to do with survival of the fittest.

Yes extinction would be exactly a calamity for humanity unlike nearly all the predictions of climate change. Which scientists are predicting extinction?

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes extinction would be exactly a calamity for humanity unlike nearly all the predictions of climate change. Which scientists are predicting extinction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if any are. Does it matter?

pokervintage
Old 10-13-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
only because you seemed to think I was disagreeing with the scientists, which I'm not.

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
only because you seemed to think I was disagreeing with the scientists, which I'm not.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry if i missed the point, but is it: that
we should wait, at least for a little while, before acting on Global Warming?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry if i missed the point, but is it: that
we should wait, at least for a little while, before acting on Global Warming?

[/ QUOTE ]
definitely nothing to do with the point.

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it appeared to me that you believe that Gore did not consider the impact of global warming on the lives of future generations. And that you feel that even if a calamity strikes a future generaton it will only adversely affect those caught up in it. Which to me is reason enough to take action. But you seem to think that those that will be affected are irrelevant because later generations will somehow fare well from a calamity. You seem to be willing to take a chance with the welfare of those generations when the truth is that we have no way of knowing the extent of damage we may cause.

Oh, I do believe that extintion of some species are predicted due to the affects of global warming. I'm not sure which. But isn't that also something we should be concerned about as caring human beings?

pokervintage
Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But you seem to think that those that will be affected are irrelevant because later generations will somehow fare well from a calamity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never said or suggested that those who are affected are irrelevent. Just that there's likely to be no downside for future generations and quite possible an upside.

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 AM

Oh well. Have a good night.

pokervintage
Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh well. Have a good night.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]txs I expect to as fortunately past calamities had no downside for us and quite possible an upside [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

chez
Old 10-13-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This world is going down the gutter and it's not because of CO2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree...it's because of overpopulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I allowed to use this in arguments with Christians and people (like InTheDark and IronUnkind) who claim that the Christian philosophy >>>> secularism? IOW, I can throw out the Crusades and the Inquisition and all of that and just use this argument for why religion is the most destructive force on Earth?