Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: China/US Soccer Match

[ QUOTE ]
What's the deal with the Copa America (South American teams + Mexico and USA)? Since it's right after the Gold Cup, I heard the USA was going to send a B+ team at best...is this still the plan?

[/ QUOTE ] Which I think is sad. Mexico is the only real consist team we play in NA and it'd be nice to have some wins against some decent teams in important competitions. I think the US could have a chance at making a stir there with full side. They are obviously outclassed against Brazil and Argentina but they beat Ecuador who finished 3rd in Conmebol for the 2006 WC in a friendly the last time they played. I'd imagine they'd fare well against everyone but the top two sides.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM

I don't understand the rational for not bringing a full squad. Can someone explain why?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the rational for not bringing a full squad. Can someone explain why?

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not positive but if they make it to the championship of the gold cup, their first game in Copa America would be only a few days afterwards. Two major tournaments on top of each other is rough. I think the biggest reason though is that MLS is in full swing right now and teams are releasing players (or is there just a break?) for the Gold Cup. To ask MLS teams for another 3 weeks or so is rough whereas most other leagues in the americas would have ended by then.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 PM

CW,

No break for Gold Cup. Some teams like NE and KC are getting devestated while others like RBNY keep everyone.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM

MLS should stop being retarded and change the schedule some.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] How much do you mean by some? I understand why they have the season when it is when the rest of the world usually takes the North American summer off. One, is because when they started all the teams were using NA football stadiums and there would be difficulties with sharing facilities. However with new soccer specific stadiums that will be less of the case. The other is that the only big team sport they have to compete against in the summer is baseball. Just curious, would the MLS be significantly less sucessful with a schedule emulating the rest of the world? How many fans are distracted by other sports the other parts of the year?

IMO, MLS is much more important for growth and sucess of US soccer then Gold Cup or Copa America wins. World Cup is another story.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM

People care more about MLS when our national team does well.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] How much do you mean by some? I understand why they have the season when it is when the rest of the world usually takes the North American summer off. One, is because when they started all the teams were using NA football stadiums and there would be difficulties with sharing facilities. However with new soccer specific stadiums that will be less of the case. The other is that the only big team sport they have to compete against in the summer is baseball. Just curious, would the MLS be significantly less sucessful with a schedule emulating the rest of the world? How many fans are distracted by other sports the other parts of the year?

IMO, MLS is much more important for growth and sucess of US soccer then Gold Cup or Copa America wins. World Cup is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're forgetting that winters in the northern US are harsher than in most of Europe. Obviously this isn't a deal breaker, but frankly I don't think I'd want to go to a game when its below zero.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People care more about MLS when our national team does well.

[/ QUOTE ] Definately true. World Cup sucess puts more people in the seats but I just don't view these two tournaments as something that gets people more excited to go watch league games. One tournament is a long tournament that the only real achievement is being best over Mexico and the other is a championship of a land we aren't apart of. If the US wins both tournaments is Landon Donovan going to go on Letterman again? I just don't think too much will be made of doing well here.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Dude, if the US plays well in Copa America, that will be massive. The potential for a US vs Brazil/Argentina matchup would get a ton of press here.