Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: The North American Union is **HERE**

[ QUOTE ]
So what exactly is wrong with it again? Can you give us some specific things that should worry us?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't mind being a subject rather than a citizen then you should have no worries. taxation without representation and all that stuff that you didn't learn in school.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what exactly is wrong with it again? Can you give us some specific things that should worry us?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't mind being a subject rather than a citizen then you should have no worries. taxation without representation and all that stuff that you didn't learn in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it different than being a subject of the American federal govt?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it different than being a subject of the American federal govt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it is more difficult to influence governmental policies as the size of the jurisdiction increases. It is a lot easier for me to to have an impact on my city or county government than the state or federal. I have no idea why we need another layer of government. Can somebody provide me with a short explaination as to why this is necessary? What problems do we have now that would be ameliorated with a NAU?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How would this happen? Why would we cease to have representation?

So far...nothing specific that you guys can say?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM

What little representation you have would be diluted.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What problems do we have now that would be ameliorated with a NAU?

[/ QUOTE ]

Immigration for one.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What little representation you have would be diluted.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on how it was set up. Assuming no changes to the American govt, you'd be right. But if we're talking new currencies, new citizenship/immigration policies, new border controls, etc., then the nature of the federal system may change. For example, if I could live and retain American citizenship but vote on Canadian issues, then the little representation I have might be increased under Canadian authority. I just don't see this as so awful because in my eyes, no system in NA is as big and powerful and as heavily influenced by a minority of interests as the US federal govt. Of course, I'm sure the NAU will not supercede this in practice, but the point is that it isn't the name of the almighty power that matters, an almighty power in DC or Ottawa still sucks either way.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would this happen? Why would we cease to have representation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scenario #1
You and one friend have an entire island to yourselves.

Scenario #2
You live on the same island as Scenario #1, but this time along with 99,999 other people.

Scenario #3
Same situation as Scenario #2, except your island decides to form a union with two other, similarly sized islands, agreeing to follow one uniform set of laws.

For simplicity's sake, let's say that there is just one ruler in each scenario, and he will carry out any and all orders from the rest of the island(s)'s residents. Each resident gets one vote, and the ruler will enact and enforce any and all laws that receive a majority vote. In which scenario do you feel your vote would have the most significant impact?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scenario #1
You and one friend have an entire island to yourselves.

Scenario #2
You live on the same island as Scenario #1, but this time along with 99,999 other people.

Scenario #3
Same situation as Scenario #2, except your island decides to form a union with two other, similarly sized islands, agreeing to follow one uniform set of laws.

For simplicity's sake, let's say that there is just one ruler in each scenario, and he will carry out any and all orders from the rest of the island(s)'s residents. Each resident gets one vote, and the ruler will enact and enforce any and all laws that receive a majority vote. In which scenario do you feel your vote would have the most significant impact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scenario A: You live in a nation of 300 million with an almighty federal govt -- the largest and most powerful govt on earth.

Scenario B: You live in a union of 400 million under a more confederate style government with more diverse interests and decentralizes authority.

Not saying that my A vs. B is reality (there is no reality here, just speculation), but they are at least as plausible as your 2 vs. 3 reality.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, if I could live and retain American citizenship but vote on Canadian issues, then the little representation I have might be increased under Canadian authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't Canadians in turn be just as likely to vote on US issues?