Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: YouTube of Ron Paul on Blitzer

bar mitzvah, bowel movement, or baby momma?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:27 AM

If I were a woman I would be his baby momma!
Since I'm not I wil have to settle for being his bowel movement!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:32 AM

This is the only guy in the past 10 years to run for president as a democrat or republican that thinks we have the right to gamble as we see fit on the internet, that thinks freedom is something you are born with and not "granted" from government and places a premium on personal responsibility and is calling for the banishment of the nanny state.

By all means, please lock any new threads about him, no matter how news worthy.

Are all the mods except El D idiots or just he ones that post?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 AM

I just watched this video. I'm very conflicted about RP. On the one hand, he's a great guy to have in a debate, because he has meritorious positions, defends them well, and draws attention to when other people are talking out of their ass or saying things they don't really mean to sound good. But on the other hand, I think he would be a scary guy to get elected president. So ideally, I'd like to see him hang around until the last round of the primaries or so, infuse some of the views he advocates into the candidate's platform, and then fade away.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He does a really good job of defending his statements about 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I felt he played it more like a politician (i.e., that's what the 9/11 commission report said in 2 quotes also) rather than a straight-talking Perot-esque non-politico who could rally real support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... wtf are you talking about?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We tried that, but official threads didn't go over well. Besides, this way you guys get 2.5 Ron Paul threads instead of one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul is pretty much 1 topic. AC isn't. It's not really the same at all. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple "official" stickies for the candidates the people in this forum seem the most interested in (Obama and Paul are the only ones as far as I can tell), and I was definitely up in arms about the AC thread.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just watched this video. I'm very conflicted about RP. On the one hand, he's a great guy to have in a debate, because he has meritorious positions, defends them well, and draws attention to when other people are talking out of their ass or saying things they don't really mean to sound good. But on the other hand, I think he would be a scary guy to get elected president. So ideally, I'd like to see him hang around until the last round of the primaries or so, infuse some of the views he advocates into the candidate's platform, and then fade away.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is he capable of doing as president that you find really scary? Make Congress go for a 66% majority on everything they want to pass?

He might well also be able to compromise and get some actual good legislation in. Removing federal restrictions on medical marijuana, for example, or maybe get a proportional representation movement going. The only libertarian things that could really get passed are those that have broad popular support but are simply ignored by the Republocrats.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is he capable of doing as president that you find really scary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know. That's the problem. But I've read some of his articles, many of which advocate fairly extreme positions, like getting rid of the Fed or reintroducing a gold standard or completely retrenching our foreign policy. Even if he's only in office for 4 years, he could really remake a lot of the institutions of the government.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Does anyone know about his funding?
I'd be interested in how he's doing there (and also who gave money to him)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is he capable of doing as president that you find really scary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know. That's the problem. But I've read some of his articles, many of which advocate fairly extreme positions, like getting rid of the Fed or reintroducing a gold standard or completely retrenching our foreign policy. Even if he's only in office for 4 years, he could really remake a lot of the institutions of the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

And therein lies the scary part, and the fantastic part.

The major two things wrong with the US government right now are the beaurocratic juggernaut it has become, and the inability and/or unwillingness of our elected officials to downsize and remake the government. It is a scary proposition, because the only way to 'fix' America is to make huge, fundamental changes, and everybody fears huge changes.

But the fact is, these changes have to be made. The federal government DOES need to be downsized, and more power needs to be shifted to the states and counties. The federal tax system DOES need to be revamped or removed entirely. Social Security DOES need to be fixed or eliminated entirely. Lobbyists and corporations DO need to be outside arms reach of Washington. Health care and prescription coverage IS spiraling out of control and is putting this country in jeopardy. Illegal immigration IS taxing our country. Lack of shift to renewable resources IS causing financial and environmental damage to our country. The un-winnable war on drugs DOES need to be reconsidered.

NONE of these issues can be fixed short of completely destroying them and rebuilding them from the ground up, and the only person who has shown that they are willing to do anything except throw some bandages on the current system is Ron Paul. That's why he's scary.

And that's why someone like him is needed.