FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Pan\'s Labyrinth - Film by Guillermo Del Toro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
think this might be a bit much for a even a old 7 year old
u might want to watch it first without her

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning. For a point of reference, is there some other film that it would compare to as far as how disturbing it is? She's seen Se7en, Requiem For a Dream, and the Saw movies. Those are the most disturbing that I can recall off the top of my head. She's seen all the older (80s) horror movies too, but those are pretty comical by today's standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about a seven year old watching Saw or Se7en is going to give me nightmares.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning. For a point of reference, is there some other film that it would compare to as far as how disturbing it is? She's seen Se7en, Requiem For a Dream, and the Saw movies. Those are the most disturbing that I can recall off the top of my head. She's seen all the older (80s) horror movies too, but those are pretty comical by today's standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Directors Cut? Either way that is pretty [censored] up.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously hellboy and blade 2 were awful films, so i was pretty skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't care much for Hellboy, but I didn't think it was 'awful'.. and as for Blade 2, I thought it was terrific.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously hellboy and blade 2 were awful films,

[/ QUOTE ]

WTH man, no.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not cool to let 7 year olds watch that disturbing movies. No matter how cool the 7 year old thinks those movies are, or how cool the 7 year old thinks the adult is for letting her watch the movies.

Compared to those examples, Pan's Labyrinth is not that bad, but few movies are.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not cool to let 7 year olds watch that disturbing movies. No matter how cool the 7 year old thinks those movies are, or how cool the 7 year old thinks the adult is for letting her watch the movies.

Compared to those examples, Pan's Labyrinth is not that bad, but few movies are.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way to explain it without sounding like I'm biased and think she's different (and far more mature) than other kids. Let's just leave it with the idea that I did NOT take her straight from Sesame Street and Jimmy Neutron to Hellraiser. That would indeed be really screwed up.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:49 AM

Duke,

Taking a seven year old to those graphic movies seems really, really wrong. No f'ing sh*t she's different than other kids what with getting introduced to on-screen girl-on-girl anal action at six or seven years old.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just leave it with the idea that I did NOT take her straight from Sesame Street and Jimmy Neutron to Hellraiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol my dad did exactly that. When I was 8 and my brother 6 my mom and sister went out of town to visit one of her close friends hours away. The 3 guys were going to have a "sleepover" in the basement and we went to pick up some movies. Somehow we ended up with Friday the 13th and Hellraiser.

We watched Hellraiser first and I was terrified. A few months later we moved into a new home in which the attic door was in my room. Obviously this was terrifying enough but occasionally squirrels would get stuck in there and they would scratch at the walls in the middle of the night. It was a horrifying couple of years to say the least.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke,

Taking a seven year old to those graphic movies seems really, really wrong. No f'ing sh*t she's different than other kids what with getting introduced to on-screen girl-on-girl anal action at six or seven years old.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I draw the line at the sex stuff, and that scene is the reason that I wasn't the one to show her that. I'm going to wager that she didn't realize what they were doing in that scene anyhow, and if she did she'd be saying "yuck."

2. She was comforting my sister after that movie saying things like: "Come on mommy, it's just a movie. They should probably show that to kids in school so they don't use drugs."

3. With that information, I was later able to stumble on something that does actually scare her, and that's mecha. The ED-209 scene in Robocop scared the hell out of her the first time she saw it (though the scene where Murphy gets shot up initially had her laughing (she thought it looked fake)).

4. My personal contribution to her growth in film are a few Anime that I think are well done, all of the recent comic book movies, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Back to the Future, and Snakes on a Plane. Oh, and the old slasher movies. Knowing that she'd seen Se7en and Saw, well, I knew that she'd laugh at the effects in Nightmare on Elm Street, and figure it's a good one to have seen.

So yeah, I'm not trying to corrupt an innocent little kid. Any damage was already done, and not by me. And talking to her, well, I don't think any damage was done. She thinks that the kids in her school are retarded, reads math books for fun, plays with toys, builds things with legos, plays video games - she's basically an OOTer...

OK, I see your point.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 AM

i saw this over the weekend and it was very good

i recommend seeing it when it comes out in theaters