Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Someone please tell me about Radar Detectors

Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe pay attention when you drive? I don't see how you miss speed limit signs when it says to slow down. What you mean is that you see them but you don't care enough to slow down. you were doing the equiv of 50mph in a 30, thats pretty far over.

As far as radar detectors, Im not sold that they're much good. if the cop isn't zapping cars in front of you, you won't pick it up, and if there aren't many cars mostly you'll just get a beep telling you that you just got caught. its not super-effective on non-interstates either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not making excuses and claiming that I have bad luck or that the speed limit signs are hidden or whatever. I have a real problem driving 60km/hr when the street is 2 lanes and when there is no one else on the road. Often times, I'll be driving what I feel is "about right" for the street that I'm on and then I look and see that I;m doing 90 in a 60 and then i slow down to 80. If they made the speed limit 80 then I'd still probably be doing 80-90 on that street.I just wanted to make it clear that I;m not some young punk street racer. I drive a Toyota Sienna and a Honda CRV.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can't understand your crazy metric speak. Translate please.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically, i'm not a crazy speeder. I just have trouble driving at speed limit when Im off highways. I might go 15-20 mph over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who finds 20 MPH over to be fast?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it's fast, that's why i get the tickets. But it's not crazy fast.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can't understand your crazy metric speak. Translate please.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically, i'm not a crazy speeder. I just have trouble driving at speed limit when Im off highways. I might go 15-20 mph over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who finds 20 MPH over to be fast?

[/ QUOTE ]

20 over is abotu the threshold I find is a good balance of safety, and quickness. Its not fast enough that you are being unsafe, it leaves you some time to slow down if you see a cop, and its not that dangerous. PS- a lot of major cities, 15 to 20 over is keeping up with teh flow of traffic, ie atlanta
Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

20 over is abotu the threshold I find is a good balance of safety, and quickness. Its not fast enough that you are being unsafe, it leaves you some time to slow down if you see a cop, and its not that dangerous. PS- a lot of major cities, 15 to 20 over is keeping up with teh flow of traffic, ie atlanta

[/ QUOTE ]
So doing 55 in a 35 is safe?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 AM

Where is the OP located? I'm not completely sure if things are different overseas than in the US, but in the US I know a lot about Radar detectors (<3 fast cars).

First of all, DON'T LISTEN to the people saying cops use lasers now. Only like 7 (I could be off a few, but def less than 20) states have them and they only comprise like 5% of those state's actual speed detecting equipment. Especially in poorer states or states in the south, you will basically never find a laser detector.

As for radar detectors, I have a valentine one like several others do and I'm pretty sure it's still the best on the market. The passport may be just as good, but I can personally speak for the V1.

As others have said it gives off some false alarms but it definitely makes a clear distinguishable sound when a cop is around. It works decent in town, but that's where it picks up more false alarms. On the interstate it will give you 1-2 miles of advance notice and definitely plenty of time to slow down. It also tells you in both which direction the signal is coming from.

Basically, dole out 400 and your speeding ticket worries should dissapear.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Basically, dole out 400 and your speeding ticket worries should dissapear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn to drive the speed limit or only a few KPH over and your speeding ticket worries should disappear.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Radar detectors are illegal in Ontario. The police there also have units that can detect radar detectors and they will pull you over for using one. I didn't think that was possible, but apparently it is. You have been warned.

Spectre RDD
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Valentine One without a debt is the best you can get

http://www.valentine1.com/
Old 05-10-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Radar detectors are illegal in Ontario. The police there also have units that can detect radar detectors and they will pull you over for using one. I didn't think that was possible, but apparently it is. You have been warned.

Spectre RDD

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew they were illegal bc Costco only ships to BC and Alberta and Saskatchewan......but I thought it was one of those murky laws that no one ever gets busted for. I'm definitely not getting one now. Thanks for the article.