Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Please help me goad Stars into some very necessary changes

jeffrey is drunk 2+2'ing, a very fun activity
Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the early reg. idea. I don't see how it could be any thing but beneficial to Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong (read: almost certainly am) but for some reason I thought this was for the purposes of guaranteed tournaments, in that if the server goes down with a dozen people registered then they split the money, but if it goes down with 0 people registered Stars keeps it.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 AM

late registration for the first hour (or even just the first level) would be sweet too, at the very least for rebuy tourneys
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM

goooo clayton
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 AM

i ALLLLLLWAYS forget to addon in rebuys why do we have to wait 1 minute it lifetilts me
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Sorting out the dead blind problem would be on my list (although I love that problem when the BB skips me!).
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as more guarenteed tournaments go, I guess I must be totally retarded...because I don't see ANY downside to this at all.

Look at the evening 109's. The 109 at 11:00(server time) gets 250ish entries. It has no guarentee. The 109 at 1AM (server time) gets 400ish entries, because it has a guarentee. Every single night.

Stars runs much much fewer actual tournaments than FTP now, I see no reason why every normal tournament should not have a guarentee. Even if it is EASILY surpassed every night.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you give each tournament a guarantee, the impact of a guarantee is lessened by a lot. Furthermore, it's very likely that you aren't getting new players into a tournament when you increase the guarantee, but you are instead simply pulling them from tournaments that have none.

Therefore, if you guarantee every tournament, then you'd expect both of the events in your example to even out at 325 entrants. If you look at some of the smaller sites which guarantee 3/4 tournaments, the remaining 1/4 tournametns are almost completely dead.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Ability to register for all tournaments hours in advance in the same manner that the Daily $50k and $100k tournaments offer registration. Tournament players should not have to allocate time towards checking the Stars lobby every 20 minutes while 10-tabling to make certain not to forget registering for a certain tournament. I fail to see how making such a decision is for the detriment of Stars, as it makes things better for the player and drives more rake for the site from people who would have otherwise forgotten to register while mult-tasking.

[/ QUOTE ]
The downside of this is that people will register early, then forget about the tournament. They'll then be blinded out and complain, giving them a bad experience. Furthermore, there're several events with limited fields (either in theory, or limits that are very definite and frequently hit). You'd then confuse things enormously by having a different registration period for different tournaments. There are already some increased registration periods, but (so far as I am aware) only one decreased period. That one is for the Wednesday EPT Double Shootout, as it needs two daily satellites.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Sciolist,

is it totally unheard of to check with your competitors how their players react to increased registration? On e.g. Party you can register waaay earlier. Or *gasp* do a customer survey.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it totally unheard of to check with your competitors how their players react to increased registration? On e.g. Party you can register waaay earlier. Or *gasp* do a customer survey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Party have traditionally had a different opinion on the impact of this than we have. That doesn't mean that our opinion is set in stone and will never change, it just means that when we last made the decision, you know which side of the fence we fell.

Also, I should clarify: I do not make these decisions. I work for a different department and just wanted to post a couple of counter-points in this thread. I do not doubt that the people who DO make these decisions read these threads though.