Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Cell Phones

I'm in the market for a new cellie. I have Verizon but not sure if I want to stay with them. My contract is up in August. I looked at Verizon's phones and I didn't care for them at all.

I want something small but something I can use to text message easy with. I hate TWord and it takes too damn long to hit number keys multiple times just for one stinking letter.

I was looking into a blackberry pearl, but Verizon makes you buy a data package with it and I don't want all that crap. There's free WAP's out there or I can create my own if need be. I don't need to pay $80 a month just so I can send emails from my phone.

EDIT :

I should take that back, it wasn't a Pearl that Verizon has, it's the 7130e.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM

I just got the Blackberry Curve with AT&T and I love it. I was a Verizon user and there are some trade-offs with the service in my area. The phone is great and has lots of very nice features. It's essentially a Pearl with a QWERTY keyboard, bigger screen, and 2MP camera. I recommend it for anyone not looking to spend $500 on an iphone.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
very slightly off topic: virtually everyone i know has a cellphone, except for male math majors, of which almost none seem to have phones

[/ QUOTE ]

Redundant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a liberal-arts college and it was about a 50-50 gender split in mathematics.

Back on-topic, I hear Virgin Mobile has the best customer-service record in the industry, so I'm looking into them once my Cingular contract expires.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:56 PM

My phone is similar to Dr. Savage's phone. ITs the Sony Ericsson 710i for Cingular. I really like the sporty design, plus it seems like no one earth has this phone. The MP3 works and sounds good, plus you can operate it with the phone closed. It also has a neat fitness application where it keeps track of how far and how long I run for, plus it also keeps track of how many steps I take in a day (although I don't really have much use for that information). Service has been good, but I have no international experience.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
very slightly off topic: virtually everyone i know has a cellphone, except for male math majors, of which almost none seem to have phones

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have trouble answering it. On that note I'm planning on ordering one of these two phones tomorrow:

LG VX8600
Samsung U740

1. Does any one have either of these?

2. Experience ordering a phone from Amazon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone I know who has the u740 loves it, the VX8600 gets a mixed reception.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:13 PM

I have a Sony Ericsson P900. I love it. It's pretty good, but it was pricey. Built like a freakin tank. I've had it for a while now so I'm looking for another phone.

I've got T-Mobile. Decent call quality in L.A. Very good in some places. I live in some hills so reception is so-so when I'm at home sometimes. Never tried international calls. Guess I'm not as popular as I thought I was.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:54 PM

I had a Chocolate that I got off CL for $60, used it for about a week before I put it on e-bay because it sucked so bad. Sold it for $120 and used the profits to buy a likely stolen u740 off CL for $100. I love the 740, the full keyboard makes texting a lot less unbearable.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Tom, get the Verizon Blackberry world edition. Phil and I just got it. I am very happy with it, AND it can be used as an internet connection thru USB. Also, great for a world traveler such as yoourself, as verizon claims it will work in most countrys.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 AM

Can you elaborate on that usb/internet thingy? Does this apply to the blackberry curve? I saw the curve today in a store and it looked tight. Wish it had wifi capability though, sigh.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 AM

Chocoloate is terrible, I returned it asap.

Durrr, I'd go with a high-end blackberry.

As far as international, make sure you get signed up with a plan that allows you to just pick up the carrier of the area you're in.

For instance, if you're in France, you'll make calls through Vodafone. I traveled throughout Europe and had great service everywhere. $1 a minute was pretty [censored], but for quick convenience it's worth it.