Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: College v. Pro

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but the difference is bigger here. Think of it in terms of a recent example even us youngin's can understand. The recent Lions teams. They've had, among others: Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Charles Rogers...Joey Harrington...some dominant college OL (A. Gibson, J. Backus, Raola)...some of these guys absolutely crushed anyone they faced in college. They've mostly been ordinary to bad for the Lions. Not even looking at the Lions as a whole, but even their individual stats have been weak. These were sick college players all on one team and are very pedestrian in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that illustrates the importance of coaching and team chemistry. Superior talent doesn't always prevail if those ingredients are missing. That is why I think a great college team might have a shot to beat, or at least could play close a terrible NFL team. With superior coaching, team chemistry, and motivation, an upset could be possible.

If you take a look at the starting offenses of the 2005 Houston Texans and the USC Trojans, I think it is a difficult case to make that Houston was significantly more talented. They had more experience, but the overall talent levels were similar, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Your friends are retarded. It's not close.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Yes, the caveat to this scenario is that it has to be teams from the same era. I don't think it's possible, for all the reasons people have already mentioned. The point about the lineman is a good one, and one I didn't even think about last night. With that kind of size differential, there is just no way any college team could compete.

Summary: Friends are retards.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:18 PM

It's not close as all the posts have said. One thing is that the game on the pro level is just much faster because everybody at a given position is real fast and quick. All the players say it is a huge transition coming from collge to the pros because it is like going from driving 65 to driving 125 or something. Sure, size of the linemen matter, but think of the slow college 325 pound lineman who doesn't make the pros compared to a quick 325 pounder with great footwork. I remember seeing this NFL lineman at a golf tournament. He blocked out the sun it seemed like since he was about 6'7" and 340-350. I figured he could really move because he was pretty lean and had kind of skinny legs - not the Nebraska linemans' legs that touch to the knees as they say. No, they wanted him to work on footwork and quickness I think. He made it as a pro (I don't know if he still plays or if he is out of the league, etc...) but never became a star or anything. He would easily be the best lineman on a college team with the exception of the first round draft types scattered out there.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Not a chance.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Assuming college teams can only play pro teams from their own era, I don't think there has ever been a college team that would be favored over a pro team.

Of course, as mentioned before, huge underdogs do win on very rare occasions, so it's not like a one-in-a-billion shot.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so it's not like a one-in-a-billion shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

So youre tellin me theres a chance...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming college teams can only play pro teams from their own era, I don't think there has ever been a college team that would be favored over a pro team.

Of course, as mentioned before, huge underdogs do win on very rare occasions, so it's not like a one-in-a-billion shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those underdogs beat other teams of similar development. Not someone a big level between them.

Could the winner of March Madness beat an NBA team?
Could a college baseball team beat a MLB team?(I think the gap may be closer in baseball than NBA or NFL. I think NFL has the widest gap, imo)

b
Old 07-24-2006, 01:40 AM

Not a chance in the world, ever.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could the winner of March Madness beat an NBA team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once in a thousand times, sure.