Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Planning a trip to South America

Metetron, could you let me know about the poker and drug scene as well. I'm going to SA (Lima or BsAs, I dunno yet), this winter.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Metetron, could you let me know about the poker and drug scene as well. I'm going to SA (Lima or BsAs, I dunno yet), this winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lima doesn't compare at all to BS if you're just staying in the city. Not even a question. A lot of Lima is super sketchy as well.

If you're planning on going throughout the country too, then thats a tougher decision.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM

I know nothing about the drug-scene. But I definitely don't recommend only going to Lima just for touristy purposes. The city just isn't that spectacular.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 PM

From what I hear, Buenos Aires is over-run with tourists. If I'm going to go to SA to live, I don't want anywhere that's too touristy, that's why Lima appeals. At the same time, everyone raves about Buenos Aires, so I'd like to check it out.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM

What is appealing about Lima to you?

I admit that I enjoyed my time there and that I didn't get to see all the best spots over the course of 2 weeks because I was dragged around by my GF to see every single one of her relatives and friends, etc etc.
But I did get around somewhat and it just didn't really blow me away and I would have to think there are more attractive places to go in South America.
In fact, there are more interesting places to go just in Peru includine Cuzco and Arequipa.
Cuzco can be a tad touristy as well though.

Maybe you'll dig Lima more than I think you will. Obviously depends on what you're looking for.
Miraflores and Barranco districts in Lima might appeal to you for example.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I hear, Buenos Aires is over-run with tourists. If I'm going to go to SA to live, I don't want anywhere that's too touristy, that's why Lima appeals. At the same time, everyone raves about Buenos Aires, so I'd like to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Buenos Aires may have more tourists than a lot of South America but it is nothing like Europe. Also, keep in mind this city is humongous so a higher raw number of tourists doesn't mean a denser percentage. I mean if you go looking for Europeans and Americans, then they can be found, but in my day-to-day life I don't see a single tourist 9 times out of 10 unless I'm stupid enough to go to the cemetery or something.

Edit: If I go to a really expensive restaurant in Palermo or something like I often do, I'm about 50/50 to run into an expatriate or something but that's not the same as a tourist and isn't that surprising given that a 50 peso plate is outrageous for most Argentines. Maybe you'll see some businessmen from Argentina & Europe having a business dinner as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys do realize that the seasons are opposite down there, right?

December/January is summer in South America.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is news to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprisingly, I was aware of that! Who would have thought that during our four years of real education we had time to learn things like hemispherical weather differences. maybe you can help us out with shapes and colors though, we didn't have time for those. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for the dimwitted post I made.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:52 AM

salright, i always appreciate a good natured ribbing with a tarheel
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 AM

Has anyone played live poker in Punte Del Este? How much action do they have over there?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 AM

Americans must be able to travel to Brazil "right now," or at least my Mom did a few weeks ago. It was a nuisance to get the visa or permit though. I think it cost her $100. If it was dangerous, she and her (blind) traveling companion didn't notice. But maybe they wouldn't. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]