Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: PoohBah Post: Playing OOP in HUSNGs

[ QUOTE ]
This is very good thinking, I disagree with some minor parts but thats irrelevant b.c. your thought process / approach to thinking is excellent, and thats all that matters when learning poker. Some questions / comments:

[/ QUOTE ]

Great questions, I can't promise flawless perfection with my answers but I will give it a go.

[ QUOTE ]
1. When you are calling raises from an aggro button, how do you determine your purebluff checkraise frequency? When you do decide to bluff CR, what goes thru your mind with regards to leading the turn? If you check the turn after flop bluff, always check-fold to a bet? River plan if its checked through? Obviously a lot of this depends on specific boards, but many times generalizations can be more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't use the second hand on a watch like I have read so much about. What I prefer is just feeling out the flow of the match and finding spots where it looks like I have a higher % chance of success. It is hard to put into words what I'm looking for, but it involves my image from the past few hands, and what I think his range is. And I think subconsciencely I use timing tells in some way.

As for leading the turn, that mostly depends on the turn card. If it looks to fit in well with something I would legitamitely CR the flop with i'm inclined to lead the turn. And it really depends on how stubborn I believe my opponent is with his weaker hands. If I check I am generally folding, but if I know my opponent is always looking to take me off a hand when I check I bet throw a c/r in on the turn after a c/r bluff flop.

But let me say that I haven't done it often, but when I have I have had a decent success rate. Thats just another one of those lines that only works against certain types. Also keep in mind since I play lower to mid stakes I am more used to playing simple passive players, and the game is totally different.

And it is hard to make river generalizations. But with the action of c/r, and he calls, c/c turn and you have a bluff, there is not much hope for the river usually. You are simply going to have a hard time winning it from this point. That is why I prefer a turn lead most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Same as above but this time with a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

flush draws are fun. In general I hate the check/call flop line but at some stack sizes that might be your best bet. I usually look for something better though.

There are some players who will bet a lot but not 3bet you, kind of semi slowplaying. Those are the types I like to c/r the flop against with flush draws. There are a decent amount of players that play like that in my opinion. Against most others I lead the flop.

When I am OOP with a flush draw I generally try to pretend I have some made hand and bet it like that. I try to represent top pair instead of the flush draw, and I think it helps me get paid off a little more when I hit, and a lot of times they believe I have what I am representing.

[ QUOTE ]
3.When you say CC CR represents a lot of strength, what about using it as bluff, specifically when your flopped draw misses on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your value lines aren't getting you paid off, make those your bluff lines. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And in general you want to keep your range tough for him to guess so I say sure give it a shot.

[ QUOTE ]
4. For 3bets, I think you're missing the point a little bit in that the main goal is not picking up the 3x raise, but rather stacking your opponent with a big pair / flopped top pair in the big pot that ensues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well picking up 3BB isn't a bad result. And yes the usual reason to 3bet is because you have a good hand, and naturally you want more money to go in. And you want to get him committed with weaker or dominated holdings.

[ QUOTE ]
If you only think about the 4bb PF pot, it does makes sense to 3bet only good hands b.c. the standalone EV of 3betting T8o is very questionable. However, for it to be -EV, you're opponent is gonna have to float lots of your auto cbets and then be able to get away when you do have the goods -- most people either float and then bluff off their stack backing up the float, or they just don't ever float and fold the flop.

SO in other words, its crucial to have a wide range, even if the worst components of your range are slightly -EV. The times when these "euro-style" floaters stack off to your AA while trying to intercept T8o will greatly make up for the times when they steal your PF 3bet + cbet. And if against the never-floaters, 3bet autoleading even 72o is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its always best to be hard to read and put him in more tough spots than he puts you in. And definitely exploit weaknesses you notice.

[ QUOTE ]
5. In the button limps, Hero raises PF spot -- you cbet 100%, he calls, you missed the flop, what conditions would make you do anything other than CF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well depends on his propensity to float. Since he is on the button it is probably fairly high in most opponents. Against aggros one of my favorite lines in the world is bet (he calls), then I c/r the turn. Usually thats when I have a hand. But if I establish that as a value line it can work for me as a bluff if the guy is paying attention to what i'm doing. But disclaimer; that is a tough line for bluffing since it is usually such a good value line IMO.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 AM

nice post, i might go crush some HU sngs now since i have to clear 40K VPP b4 the end of the year and hardly play on stars cuz i hate their ring games
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM

very nice post.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 AM

I glanced at title, saw 'poohbah' and instaclicked. Was hoping someone else had written a poohbah post in HU.

so, I tricked myself.