Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: negotiations after home inspection... (buying a house)

[ QUOTE ]
A thing to keep in mind too (since I'm going through this process right now too), is that you can ask for these things to be fixed, but they could agree yet not fix them. On your final walkthrough before closing you'll be left w/ the choice of taking the deal as is or walking. I don't think it hurts to ask them to fix it, but don't be suprised if they simply say no, or say yes and nothing gets done by closing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never ask a seller to do anything for you before closing except on very rare occasions.

It's like hiring the worse contractor ever and guaranteeing him his pay.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A thing to keep in mind too (since I'm going through this process right now too), is that you can ask for these things to be fixed, but they could agree yet not fix them. On your final walkthrough before closing you'll be left w/ the choice of taking the deal as is or walking. I don't think it hurts to ask them to fix it, but don't be suprised if they simply say no, or say yes and nothing gets done by closing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never ask a seller to do anything for you before closing except on very rare occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand, if I ask them to do it it's not coming out of my pocket, so it's more like hiring the worst contractor ever for free, and if they don't do it, or don't do it right, nothing lost on my end since I would of had to fix that crap anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand, if I ask them to do it it's not coming out of my pocket, so it's more like hiring the worst contractor ever for free, and if they don't do it, or don't do it right, nothing lost on my end since I would of had to fix that crap anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that was the point of the post - you're better off getting a quote and asking for a credit instead of having them repair it.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Depending on your state you also likely can make them buy you the smoke detectors. In CA there is a smoke detector and water heater strapping disclosure. If they have already provided you a document representing that the home had the required smoke detectors and it doesn't then you can probably have them provide a couple for you. I know that many RE agents down here keep them in their office since its a very common item to come up where one is missing.

The rest is honestly dictated by your position. Ie if your area is a sellers market and you had other bidders then likely you should ask, but if they refuse then let it go. If the house has been one the market for 6 months and they finally sold it to you then you probably have some leverage and they may be more likely to agree to credit for the repair. Either way if you aren't willing to walk from the deal and they know it, you are really stuck in a horribly weak negotiating position.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lol

Every single house in every single neighborhood besides new construction homes have something wrong with it that are much more costly than your list of things.

It you are going to nickle and dime for a few hundred bucks, then nickle and dime them if you want, but these things are so minuscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying that post-home-inspection negotiations are for big stuff only -- such as unknown cracks in foundations, asbestos insulation on pipes in basement, termites, etc?

I should have mentioned the house was built in 1984.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your offer should be contigent on a home inspection. I'm assuming it was but since you are closing so soon, can you even back out of it if you want to?