Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Best books for starting a small business?

My flip was quite uneventful. I didn't quite do it the way Marcos did it because I was a sissy and couldn't negotiate in french. To this day I still can't negotiate in French like I can in English. It requires a different level of mastery of a language to be able to fluently negotiate a deal back and forth. Especially a higher command in vocabulary.

Anyways, I placed an ad in the paper

WE BUY HOUSES
Any Price, Any Area, Any Cond
455-523-5435

A lady called me up a few weeks later and said she had this property she just wants to get rid of.

I went to see the property and basically the previous tenants had left the property in total disrepair. It was as if the night before they left someone told them world war III was going to happen 5 hours from now. Every drawer was thrown out and only the most important things were taken, everything else was left behind:

Condoms
socks
old shoes
VCRand A bunch of tapes
furniture left in total disrepair
Mold everywhere in the basement
Kitchen needed to be redone
Bathrooms needed to be redone
Whole house needed to be repainted, redone, refurbished.

I think I have pictures on my laptop but not on this computer. I don't know how to host pictures anyways.

The problem was, this lady owed 230 000$ on a hosue that is worth 240 000 in the best condition. Too bad it needed close to 60 grand in repairs.

I didn't quite know what to do except I had a course I bought off ebay "Short Sales made Easy" By Ron Legrand. Basically tells you how to negotiate with the bank to discount the mortgage down to a reasonable amount that would allow someone to buy it. Mainly because repossessed homes are to banks as what AIDS is to humans. And when the house needs a total makeover (mold is a big problem) it is like AIDS AND cancer.

Anyways, I went through the course listening to it 5-10x and doing what I was told to do by the course.

The bank accepted a discount on the property of about only 70 grand.

I had a rehabber go through the property before I started this entire spiel (needed his estimate to send to the bank) and he would only buy it at a maximum of 160 000 in cash. The problem is there's a 163 000$ loan on the property.

He decided to go along with it but I wasn't going to make the 3-5 grand like I wanted to, he gave me 500$ for the deal.

Pretty [censored] first flip, but nonetheless a huge learning experience.