Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Why I Am A Semi-Sociopath

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE are Americans. We accept the American way of life. We stand together. etc, etc, etc, if you would prefer helping foreigners to Americans perhaps you should move to Bangladesh.

How would that help them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky is a mllionaire. Spending his money in Bangladesh would probably tripple their economy.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW what a silly post, stand togther, American, blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

You think being an American and standing together is silly. Well I think you are silly...blah, blah blah, blah

pokerintage.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly makes an American life worth more than the life of someone from Bangladesh? Humans are humans, and human life is valuable wherever you go. That's one of the reasons I'm against wars, as one of the prerequisites for engaging in war is the belief that the lives of your own people are more valuable than the lives of the people you intend to kill during war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the fact they're better educated and more productive in building society. The average Bangladeshi isn't even building rafts, even though they should.

Survival of the fittest. Value is a human concept. Sure, the Bangladeshi have feelings, but they aren't contributing.

That's the dispassionate answer. It'd be nice in an ideal world for every life to have equal societal value, but that just ain't so in this day and age. But if you think we're getting there day by day, well, it's a process that'll take patience.

Getting angry about it is a waste of energy. The Bangladeshi don't care about your outrage either.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 PM

David,

Rest assured. I believe most posters here are of the opinion that you are certainly not a semi-sociopath.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly makes an American life worth more than the life of someone from Bangladesh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth more? in what way? What makes your fathers life worth more than Saddam Husseins? Answer that and you will answer your own question.

[ QUOTE ]
Humans are humans, and human life is valuable wherever you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not an arguement on the value of human life. It is an arguement of priorities. It seems that Sklansky prefers helping others rather than his own even when his own are just as needy as others. He has the right to do that. HIS OWN fight to ensure that he has the right. Yet he prefers not to help them. Yeah he isnt a sociopath. Right.

pokervintage
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that Sklansky prefers helping others rather than his own

[/ QUOTE ]

"His own?" Because they happen to live in relative close geographic proximity, they're "his own?" [censored]. A smart, rational person in Bangladesh has much more in common with David than a dumb [censored] in Vegas.

Hell, a good proportion of my "own" would string me up just for my sexual preferences or religious beliefs.

[ QUOTE ]
even when his own are just as needy as others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahaha. Americans are "just as needy" as Bangladeshi now?

[ QUOTE ]
HIS OWN fight to ensure that he has the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not in the last 60 years has any American fought to ensure the freedom of other Americans. (Or to ensure freedom at all IMO). Even back then, it was the British and the Soviets who did all the work. And now the Europeans have much more freedom than we do.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet he prefers not to help them. Yeah he isnt a sociopath. Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG he's not a jingoistic [censored]! Clearly he's suffering from APD!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 PM

"This is not an arguement on the value of human life. It is an arguement of priorities. It seems that Sklansky prefers helping others rather than his own even when his own are just as needy as others. He has the right to do that. HIS OWN fight to ensure that he has the right. Yet he prefers not to help them. Yeah he isnt a sociopath. Right."

Where are you getting this from? My point is that I am more interested in helping people who are trying to better themselves than people who are only interested in entertaining themselves while expending little effort in learning or accomplishing things. If this second person gets in hot water and tries to claim that he deserves equal consideration as the first guy who was born into horrible circumstances, because his grandfather (not himself) fought for our country, that excuse will fall on deaf ears.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Pokervintage, your xenophobia has clouded your judgement in this thread and made you look a dick.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Not in the last 60 years has any American fought to ensure the freedom of other Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to seriously answer your rantings but from the above statement I can only conclude that you are an idiot. Tell those that died in the Vietnam war and the Gulf War and Iraq and are dying now that what they are doing is not for you and your family's freedom. Then please go live somewhere else.

pokervintage
Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even most of their regular viewers.

Tell me why I should care about what happens to those people when a misfortune befalls them that is indirectly related to their misplace priorities. (They can't at least watch a summary of the hearing or watch it in its entirety on an entertainment show?) I don't actually wish those people harm. But if I had the choice of helping them or a struggling student in Bangledesh, I'll choose the latter, even if the former had a grandfather who fought for us in WWII.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you getting this from? My point is that I am more interested in helping people who are trying to better themselves than people who are only interested in entertaining themselves while expending little effort in learning or accomplishing things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that is your point then fine. But that's not what your statement in the OP says. You say most viewers of CNN. Well most viewers of CNN are no less interested in the news of the day than you are. To classify them as entertainment slobs because they listen to the OJ saga is at best unjust stereotyping. I disagreed mainly with this presmuption. It appeared to me from your comments that you dismissed the sacrifices of parents an grand parents so that their grand children and children did not have to sacrifice. Americans of this generation are a reflection of those Americans that came before them. Their ancestors worked to create a world in which current Amercans can behave as they wish. We should respect the sacrifices of those that came before us and reward it even if we have to show that appreciation to their off springs. You summarily discount those sacrifices. You are wrong, in my opinion, to do so.

pokervintage
Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. Not in the last 60 years has any American fought to ensure the freedom of other Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to seriously answer your rantings but from the above statement I can only conclude that you are an idiot. Tell those that died in the Vietnam war and the Gulf War and Iraq and are dying now that what they are doing is not for you and your family's freedom. Then please go live somewhere else.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
Now two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant. Now some of you may feel that the cormorant does not play an important part in the life of the
school but I remind you that it was presented to us by the Corporation of the town of Sudbury to commemorate Empire Day, when we try to remember the names of all those from the Sudbury area so gallantly gave their lives to keep China British. So from now on the cormorant is strictly out of bounds. Oh... and Jenkins... apparently your mother died this morning. [He turns to the Chaplain.] Chaplain.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 PM

Thank God that England lost these colonies. Halaluyah!

pokervintage