Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

I thought this was funny. A few facts about death sentences from amnesty.com.

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

Oh, and about innocence and death sentences in USA:

- Since 1973, 124 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- Since 1973, 124 prisoners have been released in the USA after evidence emerged of their innocence of the crimes for which they were sentenced to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats also a concern whenever people are being given time in prison. Ive heard than 0 of those that have been executed (in the US after the reintroduction of death penalty) are believed by any credible organizations to have been innocent. People sentenced to death are given several oppertunities to appeal, and the time from the first conviction to the actual death penalty taking place is like 10 years or more.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So they weren't actually "wrongfully executed" were they?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They were sentenced to death.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ironic that someone could make light of this statistic while at the same time making light of the number of appeals someone on death row gets through the process:
[ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that, he'll get his 15 appeals, he'll cost the state several millions just in court costs, and he'll probably still die in prison before his execution comes up

[/ QUOTE ]

So, correct me if I'm wrong but you advocate the death penalty with fewer opportunities to ensure that the innocent aren't killed. Got it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, are you serious? I hope you realize how horrifically flawed this is. If the CIA catches like 7 spies, do they come to the conclusion that there are no spies in this country?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan and the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan, China, Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with the death sentence, but those statistics are intentionally misleading.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So in 2006 the US was responsible for 0-91% of executions and previous to that killed 0-58 minors who committed crimes. Am I reading these statistics correctly?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So in 2006 the US was responsible for 0-91% of executions and previous to that killed 0-58 minors who committed crimes. Am I reading these statistics correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are reading the first one correctly, but I read the 2nd as saying that all of those countries were known to have killed at least 58 underage prisoners each.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- In 2006, 91 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, USA and Luxembourg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean WTF!!!!!! What an authoritarian hellhole.